A Slightly Different Dinner

We had a slightly different dinner last night.  I often make beef but we haven't had much luck in finding nice roasts so we haven't had a nice roast in years.  I've been sticking with small steaks instead and that is getting a bit boring at this point so I'm always searching for something different to try.  

I saw a video showing some sort of beef filet dish that I thought might be interesting to try.  I made a couple of small top sirloins instead of filets since our supplier has been short on filets recently.  I inserted fresh garlic into the steaks.  In hindsight, I should have marinated these steaks for a bit too so they would be more tender but I didn't take them out of the freezer soon enough. 

What made this dish interesting is that the beef is covered with fried carrots.  I never thought about frying carrots but this sounded as though it would be an interesting thing to try especially since Sheila and I like carrots.  

I used a peeler to get thin strips of carrots.  I filled a small bowl with these carrot strips.  I seasoned them with salt, onion powder and garlic powder and then sprinkled flour over them and mixed it up.  These flour encased carrots went into a frying pan and I quickly fried them.  

I baked a couple of potatoes in the oven and I made a gravy from beef stock and the beef drippings from the steaks.  This gravy went well with the steaks and the potatoes.  I also quickly pan broiled some fresh asparagus.  

Those fried carrots were good though!  These carrot strips combined with some onion strings might fry up quite nicely and taste very good either as a topping or on their own as a side!

Comments