Painting with Lukey and Kenzie

While Lukey and Kenzie were staying with us this week, we did a little bit of painting.  Sheila and I have been wanting to do this with them for quite a while so it was great that we finally had some time to do this with them.

This was supposed to be a lesson in watercolors but we chose to use the kids' new set of acrylic paints instead.  Honestly, I didn't feel like digging out the watercolors and the acrylics were already sitting on the kitchen table so we painted with acrylics.  I needed to adapt my lesson due to the last minute change in paints and because I haven't used acrylics for artistic painting in decades.  So, I demonstrated each step before having them do it.  This would allow me to adapt my plan as necessary.  That being said, this also seemed to introduce some unnecessary confusion.  If I had been more concise without adapting, what I was attempting to teach would have been more effectively communicated.  

On the previous day, the kids "just painted" with no plan.  Each of them did their own thing.  I thought it might be a better idea if we attacked a painting project with a plan sort of like a "Paint and Sip" session (although I've never even seen a "Paint and Sip" session!).  I knew they had little to no experience in the basics so we touched upon that and I repeated these basics before each step/stage of painting.  

We discussed brushes, sizes of brushes, shapes of brushes...  we discussed seeing color, saturation, shadow and light...  we discussed mixing paints that would be necessary for our specific project...  and we briefly discussed brushing techniques including how to hold a paint brush for different results.  Since this was all new to them, they suddenly became beginners again.  Developing the fine motor skills necessary for painting takes time and, at this point, no time had been spent on proper brush technique.   Plus, I don't think anyone ever explained these painting basics to them before.  Jumping right into painting is tough so I wanted to touch upon some basics first.

We chose a rather simply scene to paint and I had a photo of this scene on my tablet which was placed between all of us on the big kitchen table.  Our mixed media art paper was taped down in front of each of us.  We had bowls of water, palettes, rags and sets of brushes.  We seemed ready to start. 

First I discussed how we should break this simple scene into a few parts and I pointed out the parts they should be "seeing".  

We started with blue for the sky...   then slightly wavy lines of cyan/green for the water...  then a sandy beach...  then we would go back to the water to add some white for whitecaps and highlights...  then we would use a sponge to make some clouds.  Each color would need to be mixed.

This first one, below, is my version.  This was supposed to be a very simple painting but, as has always been the case for me and my artwork, I tend to add too many details.  Blocky, abstract shapes and color seem to elude me so this is something I need to work on.  In this respect, I pretty much failed on this project!


This next one is Kenzie's version...  I really like some of her waves!  Plus, I like how she toned down the blue sky where the clouds were residing.


This next one is Lukey's version...  Like most boys his age especially those who are used to tightly grasping long hockey sticks, holding a paint brush with a light hand seemed to be something a bit foreign to him.  He was very heavy-handed causing a loss of brush control.  Consequently, he had a little difficulty getting the results he wanted.  

In our third step, when we were tackling the beach, I spent a little more time explaining how to hold the brush, how to stay light, and what angle is necessary so, his beach came out great once he got some more detailed instruction...


And, this last one is Sheila's version...  Sheila was seeing rougher seas in her mind so that is what she painted.  Hopefully I needn't read too much into the "rougher seas" and her subconscious mind...


What I learned in this project is that I need to work on explaining basic technique more effectively.  I admit that my first explanations were not clear enough.  Maybe I assumed they knew more about technique?  Maybe I was too simple in my explanations?  What I do know is that I need to work on more effective communication when trying to teach/direct an art project.  

We had a great time so that means this was a success!



Comments