Model Retaining Wall

I'm still recovering from my last bout with COVID so let me mention this continually lingering illness so nobody mistakes no news for good news.  

My breathing is quite lousy...  I'm constantly trying to cough up the thickest of thick mucus...  I'm having difficulty breathing when laying down which makes getting some much needed sleep more difficult...  I have extremely painful joints...  and I'm generally feeling quite lousy.  Even so, I've still been trying to accomplish something, anything, each day.  

The other day, I decided that I didn't like the front side of our garden railroad.  I have this front section up on 4x4 stilts so it has always looked a bit weird to me.  I'm planning to build a train station for this part of the railroad.  First I need to figure out the best way to make a model building that is completely weatherproof.  This little straight section on this low deck will also have a road crossing the two tracks and it will be filled in with gravel and landscaping to add some realism to the scene.  

For now, I wanted to address this open area underneath this long, low decking because it always looked a bit "unfinished".  I decided that perhaps it would look better if I closed up the open area by making it look like a retaining wall holding up the elevated train tracks and station so I started working on that a couple of days ago.  

The moment I built this model retaining wall, I knew it was the right thing to do!


Here, below, is a view from before without the retaining wall and open to underneath...


I still have a little bit of trim to add and then I plan to stain all of this wood for two reasons...  First, the stain will help to protect this treated lumber...  and second, it should look a bit more "finished" once it is stained.

Oh yeah...  one more thing...  I wanted this project to be very simple so I figured I would just cut grooves lengthwise along the length of fence boards to appear to be multiple timbers stacked on top of each other.  That didn't work.  I didn't have a saw blade thin enough for this to work plus I would need to keep moving the fence on the table saw.  I was just enough of a pain in the butt that I found it far easier and quicker to rip each treated fence board into 3/4" strips and then stack them.  Now it definitely looks like stacked timbers!  It will look even better once it is stained.  

Here is a closer view of this new retaining wall...





Comments