Very Light Weathering of Truss Bridge

In my previous blog entry, I wrote about my custom designed, homebuilt truss bridge that I have been working on lately for my little garden railroad.  I had applied far too many coats of paint in varying colors and shades in an attempt to get the color I had envisioned.  I eventually landed on a pale olive color for this bridge like many truss bridges in real life.

After writing that previous blog entry, I also applied additional shades of green to this bridge to add some tonal depth to this paint job.  The single shade of green was a bit "flat".  I'm not referring to the finish of the paint...  ie, gloss, satin, matte, flat...  but referring to the tonal depth of the paint job.  I had applied one or two more shades of green lightly with a dry brushing technique to add some tonal depth.  Today, I applied some reddish washes very lightly to give the impression of rust developing on the bridge.

In this photo, below, my locomotive is just departing the long curved trestle bridge and approaching the new truss bridge...


Below, the train is passing over the new truss bridge.  You can see some of the rust color bleeding through the bridge trusses in this photo...


Below, we have a closer view of the fireman as the locomotive passes over the truss bridge...


In some of the closeup photos of the locomotive and freight cars, you can also get a closer look at the paint on this new truss bridge...


The paint job on the tender, particularly the weathering, caught my eye for this photo below so I captured a photo.  You can also see some of the tonal textures painted on the new truss bridge as well...


Perhaps this should be in a completely separate blog entry but, since I had this gondola on the layout today, I figured I would add it here anyway.  This gondola used to be a bright yellow molded plastic color that made it look very toy-like.  I repainted it a week or two ago and I like it a whole lot better now!  I still need to add some light weathering but just covering up that bright yellow is a huge improvement...


Here is one last shot of the train passing over the new bridge as the sun sets over my left shoulder...


And lastly, here is a short video clip of this same train passing over my newly painted custom truss bridge...

Comments