Sailboat Restoration Coming Along

The weather was beautiful yesterday, my health was in good condition and I was feeling well and energetic.  Lately, this seems to be a rare combination of conditions so it was the perfect day to work on more of my sailboat restoration projects.

My little 37 year old AMF Alcort Minifish sailboat is coming along nicely even though parts are extremely difficult to find.  This boat is no longer manufactured.  The parts are no longer manufactured.  The only way to obtain parts is to either find used parts or substitute parts designed for other sailboats.  In my case, I opted to buy new parts designed for the Sunfish, Super Sunfish and Laser sailboats.

Speaking of Laser sailboats...  I would love to have a Laser!  The Laser is still small enough to transport on the roof rack of a car yet it is large compared to my little minifish.  The Laser is designed for speed...  it is sleek...  it is lightweight...  and it can really move!  Unlike what my spinal injuries and health have done to my abilities, mobility, and activities, I don't think there is anything which can keep me from dreaming...  and the Laser is a beautiful dream!

Ratcheting mainsheet block on top of deck,
cam cleat mounted below in cockpit.
The first project I decided to tackle was to remove the old mainsheet clip that was installed by the manufacturer.  This little clip was virtually useless in handling the mainsheet.  In fact, I have always felt that this clip was more effective at wearing down my mainsheet rope than it was at helping with handling the mainsheet.  So, "off with the old clip, matey!  Arrrr!"  I removed the two screws, tapped it with the butt end of my screwdriver, and it fell off.  Easy!

Now it was time to decide whether or not I need to install an inspection port to gain access to the inside of the hull to help in adding backing plates to the new hardware.  At the last moment, with cutting tool in hand, I decided that I should try to install the hardware without access to the inside of the hull.  I was hoping that the screws would find some good wood inside the hull to bite into as a backing plate...

I drilled the first of four holes...   through the fiberglass...  through what seemed like a little bit of wood...   then a long, twisted shard of metal started emerging from the hole...  I was drilling through a metal plate!  Hmmm...  a metal plate...  this was good news!  Now, if I could get the hole the perfect size, then I could screw my stainless screws through that metal plate and I won't need access to inside the hull to add hardwood backing plates!  This good news would mean that I would not need to cut a big 5" hole in my hull to add an inspection port!  Very good news!

A closeup of the ratcheting mainsheet block...
I drilled the remaining holes...   no problems.  I kept re-drilling with larger bits until I hit upon the correct sized bit for each of the sets of stainless screws I was using for mounting the new hardware.  After stepping up three times and using my fourth bit, I hit upon the correct size.

I squeezed some marine silicone sealer into the holes and installed my new ratcheting mainsheet block.  The screws were tough to twist into the tight holes through the metal plate, but it worked and they held tightly.

Next was to mount the cam cleat in the cockpit below the ratcheting block...  I drilled through the fiberglass...   then I hit wood...  and more wood...  nice!  Wood will definitely hold this cam cleat.  I squeezed some marine silicone sealer into the holes and then spread some sealer across the surface where the cam cleat will make contact with the hull.  The cam cleat mounted tightly and the sticky marine sealer just barely started to squeeze out around the edges....  perfect!

Installing those two new pieces of hardware was much easier than expected but it did take some time drilling out sequentially larger holes.  It was looking nice and I did not need to cut out a big hole in the hull for an inspection port!  I think I will probably add an inspection port in the future so I can add a dry-bag for storing cellphones, ID and such, but, as far as I'm concerned, the longer I can avoid that project, the better.

Some spidering of the gelcoat due to impact...
smoothed with a Dremel tool...
Now it was time to tackle the hullwork.

I have a few stress spots which caused the gelcoat on the hull to spider in two spots and to chip out in one spot.  These areas were not leaking but they did have sharp edges and were located where people sit and slide around the cockpit.  Sharp edges here are bad news!

My little Dremel tool was perfect for this job.  I used a tapered grinding bit to smooth down all the edges in these three areas.  It was quick work.  Unfortunately, I didn't have all the tools I need for the next step of applying a new layer of gelcoat in these areas.  That part of the project will have to wait for another day.  After the new gelcoat dries, it just needs to be sanded and buffed out until it shines like new.

At this point it was time for lunch.  Typically, I need to lay down for a bit after lunch but I knew I had to take advantage of the good weather and my good health.  I went back outside to work on the boat some more.  The more I can get done this day, the less I have to get done before we head to the lake.  My theory is that as long as I keep busy, I will be able to get everything done that needs to be done.  It doesn't matter which project I work on...  just keep busy knocking them out one by one.  Since my health was relatively good and the weather was cooperating, I needed to keep busy this afternoon.

Spray painting the telescoping paddle...
Next, I tackled spray painting the telescoping paddle for the sailboat.  The paddle was originally a flourescent orange/red but our sailboat's accent color is yellow...  so, I spray painted it yellow.  I applied four coats of a spray paint designed for use on plastic parts on top of the three coats I applied last year.  We didn't allow the paddle to cure long enough last year so a considerable amount of yellow paint scratched off.  The paddle can now cure for more than a week before we will use it.

I then decided to sand down the wood parts...  the centerboard and the rudder...  and then apply a new coat of spar urethane.  I managed to get that done before some dark clouds started rolling in from the west.

I even managed to finish assembling a camera mount that I designed.  I designed this particular camera mount so I can mount the camera on the mast.  It can mount either at the top of the mast looking down on the boat or low on the mast looking aft toward the cockpit.  This should make for some interesting video!

After sanding and applying a new coat of
spar urethane...
I also designed a camera mount to clamp to the rudder but I have not yet built it.  I may tackle this project today...

So, yesterday was a very productive day!

Late next week we will be packing everything up and heading to the lake.  We are all really excited about getting out on the water in the sailboat again...   skimming across the lake, spray in your face...  leaning off the boat, tugging on the mainsheet while holding the rudder where it needs to be...   the only thing holding you on the boat is your feet hooked under the hiking strap and your butt planted on the gunwale as your stomach muscles scream from leaning back in an attempt to balance and hold the boat on its keel...  the wind fighting you...  the waves splashing up over the bow and then spraying up over the contoured splash guard and into your face...

Comments

  1. Glad things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your mainsheet block & cleat setup. I have the same system on my Sunfish, and it works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just spent a week sailing and this ratcheting block and cam cleat combo worked great! I am very happy with this little upgrade. The cam cleat definitely came in handy in calmer winds as well as for tacking. I'm posting a short 'teaser' video shortly as a preview of our week of sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick, I came across your excellent Lake Groton Minifish sailing video posed on my2fish's blog. I also have a very old Minifish (AMF, S/N 002333) that I am working on and I was fretting over the whole mainsheet block installation situation. Thanks to you, I think now I have a successful plan I can follow! With any luck, my hull will be the same as yours and I will find some decent backing material in there. What S/N is yours? Great video, by the way! I love the shot at the beginning where the camera hits the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words about the video! Glad you liked it. Installing that ratcheting block was much easier than anticipated, thankfully. We have used it for a full season and the block has even taken a few hits while the boat was on the roof of the car and it is still secure. Let me know how your installation goes... AMF 50028M77D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment