Not Attending Academy Graduation

At this time, I should be heading down to Springfield, Vermont for Adam's graduation from the Civil Air Patrol Northeast Region Glider Academy.  However, I will not be attending this graduation.

There has been much frustration over how this Academy has been coordinated and managed in the months before Adam arrived for his session.  While Adam was attending the Academy this past week, this frustration boiled over into intense anger due to unprofessional behavior by an instructor at the Academy which could be described as immature and unprofessional, at best.  His behavior certainly was childish and inappropriate.  More importantly, his behavior showed no apparent signs of integrity nor excellence, both of which are core values that these instructors are tasked with instilling in their cadet students.  His subsequent actions (read inactions) have shown no acknowledgement of wrongdoing nor remorse.

This incident has left me so incensed and deeply disturbed that my 'inner drill sergeant' is itching to explode at this instructor, at the Commander of the Academy, and at any other official at this Academy who feels the need to come to their defense.  

For those whom are unaware, I am retired from the US Air Force.  Three years of my career was spent as a Team Chief of the Honor Guard and as an elite representative of various General Officers. Those three years were very unique and very difficult to accurately explain to civilians but could be best summarized as being like boot camp.

Attention to detail was exceptionally high.  Professionalism, honor, excellence and certainly integrity were terms we used every day and values we lived by as we were all held to the highest standards. Those of us on this team lived our lives in an environment like 'boot camp x infinity'.  Yet, we were also a very close family.  

As Team Chief, I was their drill sergeant.  I handled paperwork.  I managed our hectic schedule and travel.  I handled the media. I was their mother (and, believe me, I was called a 'mother' at times).  I was their father.  I was their leader.  I was responsible for each and every airman assigned to my team...  in every way...  at all times.  I ensured that standards were not only met, but they were exceeded.   I ensured that my team and the Air Force was as honorable as possible in the eyes of everyone.  It was my job to reprimand infractions swiftly and firmly.  Our lives in this unit were dedicated to showing the highest respect and honor to those we were assigned to serve, to the Air Force, to the families of the deceased, to our country, to each other.  Our lives were dedicated to professionalism, integrity, excellence, honor, respect and 'service before self'.  I am very proud to say I was good at my job... and actually, that is nothing special because all of us in this special unit were well above outstanding at our jobs.  

I mention this position as Team Chief of an elite honor guard because this experience set the standards not only for all jobs I had the honor of holding afterward, but also for how I live my life every moment of every day.  I firmly believe everyone should hold themselves to high standards such as these.  The world certainly would be a better place if we did...  there is no doubt about that.  The Civil Air Patrol is supposed to hold all members, leadership and cadets, to these very standards.

When I see unprofessional behavior in any realm, quite honestly, it annoys me.  When I see unprofessional behavior by those in a position of authority over children...   or in a position as a role model for children...  or as an instructor or officer in the Civil Air Patrol who is specifically appointed to be instilling 'core values' such as integrity and excellence in each and every cadet...  it disgusts and angers me to such a deep, dark level that I feel I must do everything I can to put an end to this unacceptable behavior.  

If these unprofessional officers and instructors feel this situation is no big deal, they need to be reprimanded and educated or else lose their jobs.  If these officers and instructors refuse to even acknowledge their disrespectful, immature and unprofessional behavior (which, thus far, is the case), then they definitely run the risk of experiencing my 'inner drill instructor reprimanding' as well as being officially reprimanded.  

I am so angry and so insistent upon bringing these frustratingly unprofessional and immature incidents to light, that Sheila felt I might be an embarrassment to Adam on his graduation day.  So, I stayed home.  Remember...  Sheila and I were supposed to pin wings on Adam's chest at this graduation ceremony today. This was supposed to be a tremendous event and accomplishment for all of us.  This has been taken away from us and memories of this day will now only bring forth many deep, bad feelings.

Truth be told, Sheila is probably right in that there would perhaps be a scene at the graduation ceremony as I express my opinion on this matter...  military style...  at a military Air Force Auxiliary function.  All it would take is for one instructor to merely mention this incident in my presence and I would have to express myself as I can so eloquently do in such situations.  So, I chose to stay home rather than risk embarrassing Adam.  Take note, Civil Air Patrol...  this is showing some discipline and integrity... something which you are embarrassingly and negligently lacking at this time.

My intention was to confront those involved and those who should be involved in private.  I believe some officers have shrugged off some responsibility by burying their heads in the sand and ignoring the incidents.  There is no doubt, however, that if any of these unprofessional officers/instructors would say anything to me which is related to the incidents leading up to today, while I am just trying to keep quiet and let Adam enjoy his day in the spotlight, my 'inner drill sergeant' would explode out of me in such a startling way that Adam just might be embarrassed since he really knows very little about what has been happening over the past few months. It truly disgusts me how at least one of these instructors has behaved lately and it truly disgusts me how it seems those up the chain of command have done nothing but show disinterest and negligent leadership, at best.

So now, Sheila is headed down to Adam's graduation alone while I am sitting here at my computer beginning what will be a very long online campaign in the name of integrity, excellence, honor, respect and professionalism.  These cadets deserve to have someone fighting for their honor and on their behalf.  The Cadets need this.  The Civil Air Patrol needs this.

I intend to write a series of articles here explaining the gross mismanagement and unprofessional behavior we experienced in the months leading up to Adam's session at this Glider Academy.  I will also write an article explaining the unprofessional and immature incident which happened this past week at the Academy.  If this does not entice the Civil Air Patrol to get their act together, get organized administratively and, most importantly, lead with integrity, I don't know what will.

Furthermore, when I am finished exposing these problems, I plan to warn the parents of cadets in Vermont about the Vermont Air National Guard's apparent recruiting policies and how they have far too much access to these cadets.  These recruiting tactics are not only unprofessional, but these young, impressionable cadets are getting frighteningly bad, misleading and fraudulent advice by Vermont Air Guard recruiters which can seriously screw up their lives.  I feel every parent of every cadet must hear about what their child is being subjected to at these Civil Air Patrol events involving Vermont Air National Guard recruiting. My opinion is that no recruiters... NONE whatsoever... should have any access to these cadets unless the cadet seeks contact.

Another truth I feel I should mention here is that, at this point after all these events, I sorrowfully regret ever recommending Adam become a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol. What I am seeing in these Civil Air Patrol leaders and instructors is NOT what I want Adam learning, nor emulating in his own life...  personal nor professional.  Exposing him to this unprofessionalism and lack of integrity was the last thing I wanted for him.  Maybe, just maybe, my campaign of writing articles about this topic might help improve the Civil Air Patrol for cadets in the future.

That being said, even the frustratingly unprofessional and ineffectual leadership in the Civil Air Patrol which I am writing about here is a far better influence than hanging out with convicts, parolees and those with no respect for civilized society.  That hardly could count as a glowing endorsement for the Civil Air Patrol, could it?  Of course not!

Integrity First... Service Before Self... Excellence In All We Do...


Comments