Sketching What Does Not Exist... Yet

I've been busy the last few days working on some sketches again.  This time, however, I've been sketching the new World Trade Center which is not completely built yet.  I'm not even completely sure of the design.  Of course, because the buildings do not exist just yet, trying to get the scale right was a bit difficult.  Being the perfectionist that I am, naturally, I am still not completely happy with some of the angles and proportions but I think it might be close enough. Regardless of whether I am happy with this sketch or not, I wanted to post a small copy here before the skyline is actually completed in real life.  It will be interesting to see just how close I am with this little project.  

Funny thing is, the more I worked the sketches and the more I researched what is actually being built, the less I like this design.  I am left feeling as though this was a poor choice for the design of this high profile project.  Artistically speaking, I'm not sure what they were going for here.  It just doesn't do much for me.  Actually...  this design is quite disappointing.

The tallest of the buildings of what will be the 'World Trade Center' is One World Trade Center (the tallest building depicted in red, white and blue lights below). This building does have some character and I like it.  I really can't figure out how the other four buildings fit into this design though.  Each is significantly different and I am having difficulty seeing the connection between all the buildings, design-wise.  Artistically speaking, it seems as though five different architects designed a building each...  without consulting each other... without much creative thought... without cohesion... without even similar creative inspiration.  

Overall, I am left quite disappointed in this design of the new World Trade Center.  Why I decided to sketch this particular project when I am so disappointed about it, I have no idea!  Perhaps this was just an exercise to work on my skills...  and I am seeing areas where I can and should improve my own skills...



Comments

  1. Making a copy of this sketch and shrinking it down for viewing here caused a lot of detail to disappear... oh well. Also, something doesn't look right to me... I need to step away from this project for a day or two and then come back to it to figure out what it is... my first thought is that some proportions are out of whack... time will tell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment