Tile Work Today?

Taking shape... notice the new custom paneling in the background
where this fireplace will reside... (don't mind the dirty floors... I have
really been beating on them this week!)
I had an exceptionally productive day yesterday as you can see from these photos.  Not only is the maple and aspen paneling stained and finished looking warm, inviting and beautiful, but I have a good chunk of the fireplace and shelving unit cut and assembled.

The mantle will also be aspen to match the walls.  The plywood sides of the fireplace and shelving unit is cut from birch. Much of the rest of the fireplace will be douglas fir and pine. I hand selected all the wood but did have to make some substitutions from my original plans because I could not find what I desired. The finished product should still look beautiful albeit a bit more expensive. Between the price of my substitutions and the time wasted trying to find what I needed, collecting materials was a long, tedious and frustrating process!

I am hoping to get the tile hearth put together today.  I will install a slate tile border around the hearth opening too.  Hopefully today will be just as productive as yesterday.

In the meantime, here are a few of the latest photos...  time to get back to work....




I drilled a series of 44 holes for shelf rests inside the shelving unit...



From this angle you can see how the shelves are not quite as deep as
the fireplace.  Also, the mantle will really be three inches thick and NOT
this thin piece of wood shown here...

Comments