Dashboard Lights

Sheila bought herself a new car back about six months ago. When I first sat in her car at night and saw how crystal clear her dashboard lighting was I started feeling like my car was old and worn out.

So, let's see... my car is 13 years old... okay, I guess my car is old and worn out but does it need to appear old and worn out? I don't think so.

One of the things I decided to do was to order some new LED lighting for my dashboard to brighten things up. All these new cars seem to have LED bulbs and everything seems newer and brighter so why not add that to my car?

While I was on a roll with some auto repairs this afternoon (recharged my air conditioner), I decided I should tackle this dashboard lighting project too. I already had the correct LED bulbs on hand so all I needed to do was pull my dashboard apart, pull out the old bullbs, insert the new bulbs and then reassemble everything. Easy, right?


Brighter LED lighting for my dashboard.  
In the big scheme of things, this was indeed an easy project but it was not without some frustrations. Although these LED bulbs can be inserted two different ways...  pushed in one way or turned 180 degrees and pushed in this opposite way... you have only a 50-50 change of getting it right the first time. You don't know if you installed the bulbs correctly until you reassemble everything and then turn on your lights. Naturally, half of my bulbs were inserted wrong...

I disassembled everything again, rotated the dark bulbs 180 degrees, reassembled everything, started the car, and still had one bulb not working correctly. I disassembled everything again...

Now I had to check connections...  figure out if maybe I broke something while disassembling and assembling... I couldn't find anything wrong.

After a few more tries at disassembling and assembly, I decided I should reinstall the old bulb... that worked! Okay... it was not a problem due to me breaking something.

After a few more tries I finally got it right. Finally!

Then I tackled the clock lighting. That was a little bit of a pain in the butt but I managed to get that changed and working within a few short minutes.

When I looked more closely at the old bulbs, I noticed that the bulbs were all blackened after 13 years of use. No wonder my dashboard lights seemed dull and worn out! 

Anyway, this was another relatively easy fix and, in the process, I cleaned up my dashboard inside and out.

Comments