Funky Tastebuds

I struggle with a wide variety of symptoms as a result of my illness, Systemic Mastocytosis... anaphylaxis and losing consciousness for no known reason... breathing problems... flushing... tachycardia... gastro-intestinal problems... nausea... abdominal pain/cramping... vomiting... dizziness... overwhelming fatigue... pain in areas where mast cells are degranulating... neurological issues (tingling, buzzing, tremors, twitching, numbness, weakness) due to mast cells degranulating near nerves and/or the brain... vision issues... cognitive difficulties... rashes (oftentimes so painful they feel like a bundle of nerves are exposed on my skin)... etc.

I can't handle environments warmer than around 74 degrees for longer than 15-20 minutes without experiencing anaphylaxis (cooling techniques help for short periods of time in moderately hot environments). If I eat foods which are naturally high in histamine, I experience terrible gastro-intestinal issues and possibly anaphylaxis within minutes or hours after eating. If I am active enough to raise my core body temperature, I can trigger anaphylaxis and any of the aforementioned symptoms. This list of systemic symptoms seems to go on and on forever.

One symptom which is really weird and quite annoying affects my tastebuds!

Sometimes, no matter what I attempt to eat, food does not taste anything like what it should. Unfortunately, this symptom never makes things taste better! This symptom always makes things taste horrendous... so horrendous that I need to spit it out! Today is one of these days.

This mildly started last night at dinnertime. Everything I tried to eat tasted really strange. If I were blindfolded, I would not be able to accurately identify any food. This is something in which I am usually very good at doing too. Typically, I can take a bite of something and then identify enough of the ingredients and spices to recreate the dish myself. On days when my tastebuds are screwed up... I can't even eat! Everything tastes disgusting!

Sometimes I can't taste salt or spicier spices...  sometimes I can taste salt but have trouble with most everything else... sometimes all food just tastes completely different than it should. My most frequent issue with my tastebuds, however, is not being able to taste salt and having a constant metallic taste in my mouth.

So, while attempting to eat dinner last night, I noticed a distinct difference in my sense of taste. I was hoping that this morning would be a better day but my sense of taste is even worse today. I'm hungry but can't eat anything because everything tastes just awful to me.

Maybe I'll lose a few pounds again this week...

Comments