How Do You Grip a Smooth, Thin Kindle Fire HDX?

When I first unboxed my new Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", I immediately noticed how light it is compared to my much older 7" Kindle Fire. It was even lighter and thinner than Sheila's 7" Kindle Fire HD. We were immediately excited by this revelation!


The back of the Kindle Fire with the Poetic
GraphGrip soft rubber case.
As I tried to hold my new Kindle Fire in one hand, my excitement waned a little bit. The surface of the Kindle is smooth on all sides so getting a good grip on it is difficult. Two-handed operation was a piece of cake but one-handed was a bit dangerous. This 8.9" tablet is a bit wide for even my rather large hands to securely hold the opposing edges in one hand. I figured that maybe I just need to get used to handling this newer, larger Kindle Fire.

After a week of use, I can honestly say that I did indeed get used to handling this tablet with one hand. Then again, I do have larger-than-average hands. I still felt I should protect my new tablet with some sort of case so why not find a case that not only adds some protection for my new tablet but which also provides some grip.

I ordered a Poetic GraphGrip case for my new Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" tablet. This case is rubberized which provides a nice surface to securely grip the Kindle with one or two hands. This rubberized case is also a slimline case which does not encroach upon the edges of the screen. In my experience, cases which are near the edges of the screen interfere with swiping across the edges of the screen to access menus. This Poetic GraphGrip case is nice and thin and, as a result, comes nowhere near the edges of the screen.


The slim edge of the Poetic GraphGrip case barely
encroaches upon the edge of the screen.
This case is custom designed specifically for the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" tablet. There are buttons on the case for the power button as well as for the volume controls. Holes are cut into the case for the rear-facing camera, the two speakers, the mini-HDMI jack and the 3.5mm stereo headphone/speaker jack. This soft rubber grip case fits like a glove while still allowing access to all controls and ports.

After using this new case only a few short days, I can say that I am extremely pleased with this case for adding some gripping texture to my smooth, thin Kindle Fire. This texture makes it much easier to hold the Kindle with one hand. It feels much more secure in the hand. The soft rubber also adds some protection from minor bumps and dings.

The one thing which still bothers me is that my screen is still exposed while storing it in a backpack/bag. My next purchase will be a zippered sleeve for storage. This sleeve will cover the screen when not in use and add more protection for storage and transportation. Since I added this GraphGrip case, my Kindle is now slightly larger than usual which may require me to buy a zippered case for a slightly larger tablet just so I can ensure my tablet, with GraphGrip case applied, will still fit inside. This should be no problem though if I buy a zippered sleeve designed for a slightly larger 10" tablet.


See my review of the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" tablet here.


Comments