As Expected, My Health Deteriorated Last Night

When I was writing about my health last night (my previous blog post), I knew my health was not headed in the direction I had hoped. I suspected it might be a long night... and, although it was not as miserable as it often gets, it was indeed a long night spent in the bathroom feeling rather miserable.

The nausea continued to worsen as I was typing last night. My breathing didn't get worse, but it did not improve much with epinephrine sprayed into my lungs. That provided only temporary relief allowing me to get some much needed oxygen into my body by opening up my constricted lungs if only briefly each time.  

Eventually my intestines started gurgling... a sure sign that I must find a bathroom quickly and that I must take some extra emergency medications as soon as possible (it is difficult to do when you are sick as a dog). The gurgling intestines definitely created a need to spend some time in the bathroom through the night last night... oh, fun times!

My episode and post-episode (what I call a mast cell degranulation event) was not as violent as it often gets when these types of symptoms present themselves. Quite often, when I am eventually able to leave the bathroom (if even for a short reprieve), I have the shivers and chills so badly that my whole body is gripped by a sort of series of convulsions. The "shivering" is way beyond just shivering and is actually more of a violent shaking. This gets so violent that my muscles are sore for days afterward! Last night, however, this part of the symptoms was on the mild side relatively speaking. Don't get me wrong, it was still quite miserable... this time, however, it was relatively mild.

I always forget how bad the nausea and stomach pain can get. Since I just relived this wonderful series of symptoms last night, it is delightfully fresh in my mind (a bit of sarcasm for those who appreciate my typical sarcasm). 

This nausea and cramping/pain gets so overwhelming that I find moans and groans emanating from my mouth... the groans so deep they sound as though they truly are coming up from the deepest recesses of my being. I don't even recognize the voice as my own. Even when I eventually emerge from the bathroom and slowly crawl back into bed, the moaning and groaning, although more subdued now, continues to find its way past my lips. 

When this sort of episode happens, I need to grab some more potent medications which have a side effect of knocking me into a groggy lump of flesh for the next few days. Two other known side effects, for me, are lingering blurry vision and constant, uncontrollable hunger. These medications make me so insatiably hungry that I crave anything and everything for days! Unfortunately, over-eating (anything over smallish meals) causes more gastro-intestinal issues so I must spend days fighting the urge to over-eat. So... in the most basic sense of needs and wants... I feel like crap and want to treat myself to something special but must resist the urge to try to satisfy this annoying and persistent hunger... no comfort food just yet!

I think I am now in recovery mode... I'm exhausted... I'm hungry... I'm terribly groggy... my bones and joints hurt to the core and I'm very crampy... I'm weak and with this weakness comes a bit of emotion... Oh, and I can't keep my eyes open. 

Now I need to find the energy for my lunchtime dose of medications... start cooking a fresh lunch (I always MUST eat fresh foods only... no leftovers or buffets for me... nasty stuff anyway)... and then decide whether to sleep in the living room on the couch or in the bedroom in bed... I hope I have enough energy to get that far...


Comments