Chicken Wings at Boat Show... Ugggg....

During the antique boat show yesterday in Burlington, we decided to head up to Church Street for lunch and a few cold drinks. We couldn't get a seat at Vermont Pub & Brewery so we headed to Sweetwater's. As always, Sweetwaters provided great service, great food and decent drinks. 

While we were at Sweetwater's, I had a hankering for some smoked buffalo wings. Sometimes chicken wings do not affect my health and sometimes they have a huge impact. Unfortunately, it seems yesterday the wings impacted me negatively. Regardless of how they affected my health, these smoked buffalo chicken wings were succulently delicious!

I'm not sure exactly what caused my health to crash (and this is a very conservative, mild term when talking about what happened to my health last night) but I do know that chicken rarely, if ever, agrees with my health. 

We also had some french fries and onion rings at the restaurant at the boathouse which were clearly deep fried in the same oil as all the seafood. Our fries and onion rings actually tasted like fish! Disgusting! (They were kind of lousy fries too.) And, this practice of frying all foods in the same oil as seafood is highly dangerous considering how many people are deathly allergic to seafood. Although I have no allergies, fish and seafood are fatally dangerous for my health. Whenever I learn of a kitchen practicing unsafe food practices such as this, I tell everyone I know and I avoid them... forever. So...  Splash at the Boathouse is off my list of restaurants and on my list of places to avoid at all cost. (The seats were extremely uncomfortable as well but this pales in comparison to the food safety issues.)

I always enjoy a few beers when we go out to socialize but Vermont has become a nightmare for finding a "middle of the road", lighter, mild beer. 

A couple of small micro-breweries became popular in the past ten years and now every single pub, bar and restaurant has jumped on the bandwagon and sells nothing but hoppy, bitter and oftentimes nasty micro-brewed beer... all funky... all far too hoppy... all far too heavy... and all which make me sick as a dog also. God forbid a customer desires a cold, lighter, milder beer on a hot day. You won't find it in Vermont unless you go to a supermarket.

By the time we arrived home, I was so sick that I was in and out of the bathroom most of the night. I felt miserable... I was nauseated and holding down vomit... I was weak... and my stomach felt horrendous. I spent far too much time in the bathroom sick as a dog and I spent far too much time sitting in the living room waiting for this to pass before I could even attempt to lie down in bed.

I took a bunch of extra medications... some emergency medications... I even took some anti-nausea medications. The medications worked but it took a few hours for my health to settle down. 

"Chicken wings... what the hell was I thinking?"

"Then, french fries and onion rings deep fried with seafood... uggg...."

"And, I couldn't find a beer that I actually wanted... or liked... or that didn't also cause problems with my health." "What's the point of bar-hopping if you can't find a beer or two to drink?"

Overall... "What the hell was I thinking?"

Anyway, we came home and I was feeling miserable... to put it mildly. Truthfully, I was sick as a dog and in and out of the bathroom all night. It was a looonnnnngggg night before I was even able to lie down in bed. 

I'm going to need to resort to staying home in the future as my health continues to deteriorate but, not because of my health...  I will need to stay home because restaurant kitchens are taking dangerous shortcuts and cutting corners which affect quality and safety and because pubs only offer disgusting, bitter micro-brew beers. 

I do believe I am about done with trying to stomach all the brewery wannabees. I'm about to give up on finding restaurants in Vermont who handle food safely or even serve a couple of lighter, milder beers. I know my health can no longer handle it. Honestly, I am sick of micro-brews. It is old news... let's move on to a new fad... please...

And, let's face it, my life now revolves around my health...  my health comes first...  Sheila and my own interests come second... the family comes third... and my health rarely allows for anything beyond third.  

Yesterday was a beautiful day and we all had a great time at the boat show.... I'm thankful that I was able to attend the show but I'm not at all happy about food and drink choices though and this will significantly limit our socializing in the future. I can't express how miserable it is to have a great day ruined by painful, nauseating health as a result of food and drink choices... And, in some ways, I didn't have any viable choices...

The two most serious threats to my own health yesterday...  eating poultry (simply a stupid choice for me)... and then being served french fries and onion rings which were deep fried with seafood which is disgusting and dangerous and something nobody would (or even should) anticipate...

I'm about ready to stop going out at all! ...not in Vermont, anyway...


Comments