Slit Drum Sculptures

'Slit Drum Sculptures' by Jerry Geier
Back just a couple of weeks ago, I wrote about our trip to Shelburne Farms with the grandkids. While we were at the farm, we came across these wooden sculptures out in the middle of nowhere on the farm. We had no idea what they were and subsequent internet searches provided no clues... until now.

I finally found that these particular sculptures were handcrafted by Jerry Geier. These sculptures are called "Slit Drum" sculptures. They are drumming percussion instruments of the Pacific islands and (I think) of certain African tribes. I'm still not completely certain of their history but at least I have figured out what these sculptures at Shelburne Farms represent. This particular piece of art is named "Convergence".

Here is a link to the artist... Jerry Geier.

Below is also a video I found on YouTube of a larger slit drum called a slit gong. Had I know that these sculptures were drumming instruments, I would have found a few sticks while we were at the farm to give Lukey and Kenzie a hands-on demonstration!


Comments

  1. They should have a plaque next to the sculptures with a description!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... I was thinking the same thing... why no plaque explaining what these totem-pole-looking wood sculptures are... then I was thinking that perhaps if people did know, they would beat these sculptures to smoothly battered splinters if they did know. Perhaps a plaque giving info about the sculptures but also asking people NOT to touch them or beat on them with sticks. If I were the artist, I would be quite disappointed by the lack of information.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment