A Little More Progress on Dollhouse Project

It was another rainy, windy, cold day today so I was stuck indoors. I was feeling a bit worn out anyway so I probably would not have tried to tackle anything significant today anyway. Instead, I did some work on the dollhouse project.

I'm in the finishing stages of this little project so any little bit I accomplish really makes a big difference in the appearance of the dollhouse. The "Georgetown" style is really becoming visible at this stage of the project and that is a relief and makes me happy. Sometimes projects can unknowingly morph into a different style. This project, however, really is identical to what I have always envisioned in my head... a Georgetown-style townhouse. 

Today's task was to glue on all the little pieces of wood for the detailed cornice across the top of the townhouse. This was a bit tedious but well worth the trouble. I actually did contemplate just leaving this trim plain without all the little pieces but I knew I would be disappointed in leaving it bare every time I looked at this dollhouse in the future. This detail ties in well with a similar detail in the trim above the front entry door. 




One more comment about the above photo... That bare plywood to the left of the townhouse and behind the sidewalk will be a patio. I will also install a white picket fence between the brick sidewalk and the patio. I have the picket fence all ready to be installed... I need to finish that patio first though. (I also envision flowerboxes on each of these windows... that will be a future improvement and not something for Christmas.)

Here (below) is a closer view of the brick sidewalk in front of the townhouse. This didn't work out quite as planned but I managed to somehow get it to look good. (Sometimes it pays to be a perfectionist.) These bricks come in a small sheet... unpainted... I handpainted the sheet first and then cut it into two strips. Unfortunately, even with two strips, it still was not long enough and I didn't realize this until after I had already started cutting and installing it. I had to piece together some leftover scraps to finish it off on one end of the sidewalk. After touching it all up with more handpainting, it looks pretty good. 


Here is a closer shot (below) of the cornice I finished assembling today. This layered cornice turned out very nicely and it will look even better after I apply one more coat of white paint to all of the trim.


And, one more shot (below) of the front brick sidewalk. 


Seeing the grill of the patio door in this photo above reminds me that this grill almost fell out of the door yesterday... I'll need to glue it in place or Kenzie will break this within the first hour of playing.

This project is coming along nicely and I'm liking it very much! It is really nice seeing something you imagined come together in real life.

Comments