One Small Errand Can End My Day

Today is a perfect example of how just one small errand can put a quick end to my day.

I awoke feeling halfway decent... I decided to tackle some small tasks around the house this morning since I was feeling well but first I needed to run a quick errand.

I needed to run to the local grocery store this morning to pick up something for lunch and a few other odds and ends. On the short drive down to the store, I actually felt much better than I have in recent memory. As a result, my thoughts were filled with all the wonderful things I could accomplish today... even thoughts of activities I used to be able to do when I was healthy. 

I knew this errand wouldn't take long and I was looking forward to having a very productive day for a change. I had so few things to purchase that I was in and out of the store within a few minutes but, unfortunately, this simple errand required more energy than I had in me to expend today despite how great I felt only a few short minutes earlier.

I'm back home now (obviously, since I am writing here in my blog), but I feel as though I could pass out asleep for hours if I gave in and closed my eyes. It is difficult to hold up my hands so they are resting on the empty bottom space of my laptop as I type. My best description of this feeling is like mononucleosis fatigue x 10... and I should know about mononucleosis since I have tested positive for mononucleosis three times in my life. It is a brutal, oppressing fatigue.

I've learned that when I feel this way, I must sleep. Pushing myself will only result in my health crashing into anaphylaxis which is far too common for any Systemic Mastocytosis patient. Let's see... sleep? Or, experience a life threatening condition affecting every life-support system in my body? I'll take the sleep.

So, at 10am, after feeling awesome earlier this morning, I am completely done for the day and planning to just pass out where I am... on the couch...

Comments