Art Project While Sick


The title of this blog entry is almost meaningless since art projects are about the only thing I accomplish since developing Systemic Mastocytosis. Art has many forms and I do try to stay active in many... drawing, painting, photography, videography, music and even designing and building things like models and renovating our home. 

In this case, the illness I am referring to is this miserable lingering cold (12 days at this point). I occasionally have periods of clear thinking that are driving me crazy because I am so bored (I need to stay productive and creative) but I'm still not well enough to tackle anything of significance. During these fleeting periods of clear thinking over the past few days, I've been trying to draw and paint.

This particular art project is a sketch of the Empire State Building. I already created a matching piece of the Chrysler Building a few months ago and it is now hanging on a wall in our newly renovated bedroom. I plan to hang this new sketch next to the one of the Chrysler Building.  

The biggest issue when trying to create a series such as this... whether it be photography, drawing, painting or even renovating our home... is matching or complementing styles, matching line thicknesses and scale, matching color balance and palette, and even matching tonal qualities. My early efforts with this project were frustratingly "un-series-like".

I think it is looking good at this point... we'll see how I feel about it when I am feeling better... 


Comments