Another Brutal Night of Poor Health

Last night was... brutal. 

The lousy health started to hit me while I was cooking dinner... country fried steak, pan roasted potatoes, country gravy and a big pan of fried okra. With four burners on the stove going at once, it was far too hot for me. 

Heat is a major trigger for me. Warmer environments for anything longer than a few minutes will trigger my Systemic Mastocytosis episodes. These episodes can simply be painfully debilitating with only a few symptoms and/or they can include life threatening symptoms such as anaphylaxis.

After cooking dinner, I couldn't even eat... I was nauseated beyond belief... and, generally, felt quite lousy. I knew my body was crashing but, apparently, I was not thinking clearly which is another symptom... diminished cognitive reasoning. I should have taken some emergency medications at this point but didn't think of it at the time.

By the time we finished dinner, my nausea was still constant but I was experiencing worsening waves of nausea. I sat on the couch groaning as these waves peaked. 

A couple of hours later, it was time for my nighttime dosages of medications... my largest dose of medications even on a relatively good day. I knew enough to add an anti-nausea medication into the mix as well as a high dose generic H1 blocker to, hopefully, slow down the mast cell degranulation episode which was clearly occurring inside my body. 

It is imperative to try to counter this degranulation of mast cells. If my mast cells continue to degranulate, I will experience a cascade of debilitating, painful and life threatening symptoms including anaphylaxis as well as about two dozen other terrible symptoms. So, I took some extra medications with my usual nighttime dosage of medications.

Clearly, I did not take these medications soon enough. The cascading episode had already begun inside my body... I was sick as a dog in the bathroom... eventually, made it to bed but I knew my body wasn't done so I stayed up and read for a bit... I went back and forth to the bathroom through most of the night, sick as a dog.

It had peaked at around 1am... I'm fairly certain this is when I had a larger degranulation event within my body. That trip to the bathroom was brutal... then I eventually crawled back into bed... weak, still nauseated, irritated nerves just beginning, uncontrollable shivering bordering on being violent, tachycardia, tremors, twitching, miserable bone pain, my whole body hurt. It was a bit brutal.

Very little, if anything, will get accomplished today. I'll be recovering from last night throughout the entire day... possibly even tomorrow as well. 

These episodes affect me in many ways but they definitely diminish my cognitive abilities as well as physical abilities and all of these symptoms linger for days, sometimes weeks. The excruciatingly inflamed nerves, painful bones, and sharply aching joints lingers and seems to fall into a see-sawing battle with my everyday spinal pain which is a result of my two line-of-duty spinal injuries. 

Last night was brutal.


Followup - The following night:  I am still quite nauseated... I'm exhausted... I have some stomach pain... and the bone and joint pain is still quite lousy.  I'm generally feeling lousy and I have absolutely no energy.

Comments