Autumn Flowers Through Extension Tubes

I'm taking it easy again today after another rather miserable night of poor health last night so I'm looking for things to do which won't worsen my health. 

As I was looking at the photography gear on the shelves, I remembered that I wanted to try to use some extension tubes the next time I head outside with my camera... so, I evaluated the situation... I no longer felt miserable... the weather is nice although still slightly too warm for me for extended periods... and the camera gear was just sitting there doing nothing too. It was a good time to attempt to do some photography. 

I grabbed a Sony camera body... a 70-200mm lens which wasn't long enough without the use of extension tubes the last time I attempted to shoot flowers with this lens... and I grabbed my extension tubes. 

Every lens has a minimum distance you need to be from your subject in order for your lens to focus. If you get too close, it won't focus on your subject. I think the minimum distance at 200mm for this lens is about 10 feet so I have difficulty getting close enough to flowers when using this lens. I was hoping that the lens extension would allow me to get some decent closeups.

Overall, I'm happy with using my 16mm extension tube. I think I would have preferred to also have my 10mm tube mounted on there too but that 10mm wasn't functioning correctly. I think it has a bad contact. The 16mm allowed me to get closer and I captured a few nice shots.

I liked the way the sun was barely shining between branches to softly illuminate this small flower...


We're beginning to see some color in the leaves now.... and the lawn is covered in them!


When I shot a photo of this branch last week it was mostly yellow, I think...


These flowers are so small that I didn't even notice the spider while I was shooting... I didn't notice it until I opened the photo on my big desktop computer screen!







Comments