A New Comcast Xfinity Router

A couple of weeks ago, Comcast offered us an upgrade to our router for free. I knew our router was getting old and I knew that we occasionally have problems needing reboots and removing the battery (which is difficult to get at) so a free upgrade seemed like a 'no-brainer'.

When we got our free upgrade to Xfinity a year or two ago, I thought it was odd that the Xfinity package didn't arrive with a new modem but everything seemed to work just fine so I forgot about having an older modem.

Sheila ordered this free modem upgarde and the package arrived yesterday... in a massive box... I left it, unopened, on the living room floor until after my usual afternoon nap.

When Sheila arrived home from work, I opened the box... this new Xfinity router was absolutely HUGE! It was larger than our BlueRay DVD player! This router was so deep, that it barely fit on our entertainment center shelves. I would need to lay it down flat and bend all the cords plugged into the back of it in order to squeeze it into our entertainment center. I managed to get it to fit though... eventually. This new router is approximately eight times the size of our old router! It is approximately twice as wide... approximately twice the height... and approximately twice as deep. 

Replacing a router really is quite simple and straightforward. This task seemed easy enough... unplug each cable coming from the old router and plug each into the new router... easy-peasy...

The quick start directions said to wait until the three main lights remain lit... that will indicate it is done rebooting... got it... then add the first cable... then to next step... and so on...

The telephone was not working nor was the TEL light on the front of the router lighting up. I tested our telephone anyway... nothing but dead air. This was our first indication of a problem. Well, the modem being absolutely massive was a problem too. 

Then, I tried to get online to check our Comcast account... I couldn't get online even though all indicators on the router were showing we have internet. So, with the new router, I have no telephone and no wired internet... next was to check wireless internet... okay, at least wireless internet worked. Having no wired internet and no telephone is a major problem though.

I should also point out that screwing around with this monstrous router as it hung from cables out the front of our entertainment center was no easy task either. After about twenty minutes of screwing around, my spinal injuries were screaming. This pain was not improving my mood any.

I must have rebooted about half a dozen times... I ran through troubleshooting guides on our Comcast account page (by accessing wireless internet rather than the wired internet since that wouldn't work)... I tried rebooting everything in the house several more times... 

After screwing around with this thing for two hours, I gave up.

I disconnected all the new stuff... reconnected all the old stuff... everything was instantly working again. I packed this HUGE Comcast Xfinity router back into the monstrous box... threw in all the new cables... taped it up... put the return label on the box... I was done with this nonsense!

Sheila just wrote me this morning to say that she called Comcast to tell them we are sending this new router back to them... they didn't even ask why... they didn't even offer an apology for causing two hours of grief last night. 

Right now, I'm not at all impressed with Comcast.

Comments