Batcheller Mansion Inn

Batcheller Mansion, built in 1873, Saratoga Springs

As Sheila and I were walking around downtown Saratoga, for some reason, I had decided to take a short circuitous route around a back way to access Congress Park. I don't know why I chose this route. This is something I experience often... just a "gut feeling" I suppose... like someone nudging me to go a very specific direction. 

So, we ventured around the back way off of Broadway.

Within about half a block, a large Victorian home with a towering minaret began to come into view... I slowed my walk and quickly pulled my camera out from the protection of under my jacket... I keep my camera on an over-the-shoulder harness for quick access which also allows me to hide the dangling camera under my coat... 

We continued walking closer to this strikingly beautiful structure as I fumbled with settings on my camera. As I was staring up at this towering home, I muttered, "For some reason, I know this building... it looks very familiar to me"Even now, I honestly do not know why I felt a familiarity with this unique and historic home but I'm very happy to have found it on our walk.

Whenever I shoot architecture that I find interesting, beautiful, or simply unique, I immediately research it when we get back home. I found that this stately Victorian home has a very rich history... a history of well-known statesmen... I still don't know the connection I have to this home other than I find it absolutely intriguing. Perhaps, in a previous life, I experienced something here... perhaps, as Sheila and I approached this stately home with towering minarets, I saw and felt auras of its history, its present and/or its future. 

This home is an unusual combination of details from Arabic, Persian and Victorian (in this case, a Victorian blend of French, Gothic and Italian) architectural styles blended together as is often found in these United States. Even though it has very distinctive elements and details not found in any architecture around it, this unique home blends in nicely with the Saratoga Springs Victorian architecture surrounding it while also majestically displaying Arabic and Persian influences and details. This home truly is a work of art.

As I stood across the street from this work of art, I could feel its presence... I could feel its history... I could feel its importance... I could feel it drawing me in closer. Some places, for me (and my quirky spirituality), give off a foreboding aura... a repelling force... some, however, draw me in as though my existence depended upon it. This compelling home is drawing me in closer.

In order to keep this blog entry relatively short, I'm not going to get into the long history of this home here. After doing the bit of research I have done since arriving back home, I feel a book could be written revolving around the history of this one home. I don't often experience spiritual feelings such as this but I can say this is exactly how I felt when Sheila and I roamed Thomas Jefferson's property, 'Monticello'.

I'll add just one quote from the Batcheller Mansion Inn website that I found interesting, "The mansion has also been the subject of many architectural studies, and has been featured in many books and film throughout it’s history. The Batcheller Mansion was specifically cited as an inspiration by Kevin Cummings, Development Manager for Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort."



I already started working on a painting of this historic property. When it is ready, I'll share it here and write a bit more.  


Comments