A Warm, Sunny Day

I've spent almost all of the past eight or nine days split between the couch and the bathroom due to multiple health issues. This morning, however, I felt halfway decent... I was still overwhelmingly exhausted but I felt halfway decent. I was itching to accomplish something... anything...

It just so happens that this morning was warm and sunny. Combine this type of weather with feeling halfway decent for the first time in well over a week and it is safe to say that I was going to wander outdoors. 

I still didn't feel well enough to work on the yard or house so I decided to attempt some photography in the backyard. I grabbed my camera and decided to test out my newly acquired Canon FD 135mm f2.0 all-manual lens (no auto-focus, no auto-exposure). I mounted this hefty lens on my camera and headed outdoors.

This lens is more appropriate as a portrait lens and I was immediately reminded of this fact when I tried to shoot a photo of some dried up autumn flowers... I couldn't get close enough because the minimum focus distance of this lens was keeping me farther away than I would have liked. I would need to head back indoors to retrieve some extension tubes to mount between my camera and lens which would allow me to focus at a much closer distance.

I headed back into the house...

I grabbed a 10mm extension tube... mounted it between my camera and the lens... then headed back outdoors.

As I started shooting photos, I wasn't seeing any changes in my view as I changed the aperture on the lens... something wasn't right. I headed back indoors to figure out whether my lens was not working correctly or if it was user error. 

I quickly realized that the problem was user error. I hadn't noticed that the lens adapter I was using has a 'lock' on it (a locking ring) which would keep the aperture wide open. I unlocked it and my aperture was now closing when I attempted to close it. 

So, I headed back outdoors...

I captured some decent photos this morning. I'd really like to test out this lens by shooting some 'people' photos but that is tough to do when I am alone all day. I'm liking what I'm seeing out of this lens thus far...






I'm kind of impressed with this last photo. The sun was just out of the frame on the top left so I was expecting all sorts of flare and a severe loss of contrast... I was even expecting some reflections bouncing between lens elements... the built-in hood on this lens which is meant to minimize these potential problems worked very well!



So, it is mid-November... no snow... and it is sunny and warm! This is some really strange weather for our touristy ski resort neck of the woods. Sheila's mom even has some new roses blooming now!

That being said, I was comfortable shooting outdoors this morning and happy I wasn't freezing my butt off!


Comments