Some Food Photos

I haven't been eating much lately because of a stomach bug and typical Systemic Mastocytosis complications due to any added cold, flu or bug. I really haven't felt like eating and quite often I find myself holding back puke. Fun. 

Anyway... I did shoot some food photos recently and I thought I would share them here while I have some time.

Sloppy Joes served over mashed potatoes.
We had Sloppy Joes a few days ago. To be honest, I'm really not a fan of Sloppy Joes (mostly because good rolls are hard to find around these parts) but we do make them occasionally just for an easy change of pace. 

After having this for dinner the other night, we had leftovers as usual... I pulled out the leftovers the following day at lunchtime... I took one look at the Sloppy Joes and I just could not stomach another one of those things!

I decided to find some other use for these leftoevers. The garbage can came to mind but there wasn't much else to eat in the house at this time!

After looking around the kitchen to find some other food that I could add to this nasty stuff, I opted for making some smashed potatoes... then place the Sloppy Joe mixture on top of the smashed potatoes, cover it with cheddar cheese and some chives... then quickly melt the cheese before serving. This was a vast improvement over the original meal!  It kind of reminded me of an easy version of Shepherd's Pie.  

Chocolate Mascarpone Cake
Over the holiday weekend (President's Day), Sheila decided to do some baking. She made a nice Chocolate Mascarpone cake. This is the first time she's ever made this particular cake so there were some minor problems but it still turned out well. 

Whenever I made something new, I need to adapt the recipe once or twice before I get it right and this cake was no different for Sheila.

Next time, we decided we should add some vanilla to the cocoa mascarpone frosting... it was slightly too bland using this particular recipe and we both felt some vanilla would be a good thing to add. The cake wasn't right either...  it was so far off that the baking time needed to be increased by 67%... that did not do the mascarpone/ricotta filling any favors. So, we will change up the cake mixture a bit next time too in order to even out the cooking times.

This is a nice cake and certainly different than the usual boring stuff!

Comments