Sailing Video Clips

I've been struggling with some ideas of what to do with all of my older video clips shot on cameras with far lower resolutions than is typically displayed today. 

The video world and televisions are quickly upgrading to 4K while 6K and 8K cameras are already readily available. Full HD video clips only fill one quarter of a 4K screen... so... what to do with all these older clips to make them look acceptable at a time when resolutions are increasing drastically? To make matters worse, I have a lot of HD video (not "Full HD") which is even smaller!

I got to thinking that I could use those lower resolution video files in picture-in-picture windows and they might not look so bad at the higher resolutions. The only way to know for sure was to try it.
A screenshot of this side-by-side video technique.

I went searching for some video clips and found some sailing clips that I shot way back in 2013. We were at the lake for Adam's birthday on this day. It's always fun spending time at the lake and this was a really nice day. It's safe to say we all had a lot of fun.

At one point, I decided to take my little Fuji waterproof camera out on the sailboat with me. I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to hold the camera while also holding the rudder and the mainsheet but I made it work by tying off the mainsheet. It was a relatively calm day so there were no problems tying off the sail on this day. 

This freed up one hand to use for trying to hold the camera to shoot some video clips while continuing to control the rudder with my other hand. I have to say that trying to compose some decent shots while also keeping my eyes on the task of sailing was too difficult even on this calm day but I managed to come away with some usable footage. That being said, after this little test, I decided to build some camera mounts to mount a camera on the sailboat in different locations. That idea worked out far better! (See that video here.)

Back to my problem with escalating video resolutions and having older cameras... Now I have all these older video clips at 720p and 1080p while mainstream computer displays and televisions are moving to four times the size at 4K. I decided to try a side-by-side thing to see how it played...  not bad! I may even try a 2-by-2 arrangement showing four video clips at once!

Anyway, here is a short video from that August afternoon in 2013... 






Comments

Post a Comment