Liza's Graduation

I wrote a quick blog entry the other day about Liza's graduation ceremony so I could share a few photos rather quickly. This morning, I'll share a few more photos, a small photo album and a very short video. 

As I wrote previously, we are all very proud of what Liza has managed to accomplish. Attaining her BA in Psychology was no small feat. Attaining this degree with a high GPA is even more impressive. We are proud of her and she should be proud of herself.

If one would like to skip this blog entry and run directly to the photo album, here is the link: Liza's Graduation - 13 May 2017

Edit:  After a week or so, I swapped out the color portraits for black and white versions.  I never liked those color versions because there were far too many wildly varying bright colors fighting against wildly differing patterns. (This is a problem I always encounter when shooting photos of the grandchildren too.)  I converted these portraits to black and white so I could at least eliminate the wildly varying bright colors.  We'll have to live with the conflicting patterns since there is nothing I can do about that.

Here, we have Liza and Sheila after the graduation ceremony...  



We were under a large tent in case of wet weather. Fortunately, it didn't rain until later that evening (once again, my own weather forecast differed from the local news media meteorologists' forecasts and my forecast was proven correct... thank you, US Air Force, for my education in meteorology). It was a nice environment and the lighting on the stage was fairly good for photos even if from a significant distance...


Guess which graduate... which psychology graduate... decorated her mortorboard with "Psyched 2017"...


The Johnson State College Chorale provided background music, interludes and entertainment. One of Liza's oldest and closest friends, Lindsay, was part of this musical group as an Alumna...  you can barely make her out in this photo (below) as she peeks out from behind one of the students wearing a mortorboard...  (two other photos of her are in the photo album)...


The guest speaker was Senator Bernie Sanders. Unfortunately, rather than providing some stories of his own college experiences or stories of his children heading off to college and tying that in with some inspirational advice for the new graduates like any other normal human being would do at a graduation ceremony, he instead regurgitated one of his stale old campaign speeches as though Election Day were next week. I have to point out that I happen to agree with most of his concerns and points, however, regurgitating his lone campaign speech was completely inappropriate for a graduation ceremony. Anyway, here is a photo of Vermont's Senator doing some follow-on campaigning at a graduation ceremony...


Liza receiving her diploma...


A quick snapshot of a proud Liza...



Liza with Nan and Pop...



And, we managed to convince John to slip into one of the photos. As a result, I managed to capture a photo of every single person present!




I had absolutely no intentions of shooting any video at this graduation ceremony. I had planned to shoot only still photos using two cameras and three different lenses. I purposely chose rather limited photography gear so I could travel fairly lightly with a small shoulder bag. 

When the processional began their march into the big tent, I heard bagpipes typical of and associated with any Scottish 'highlander' region. In this case, the bagpipes were the St Andrew's Pipe Band of Vermont. So, although I was not prepared for good video and I had only planned to shoot still photographs, I pressed the "record" button on one of my cameras and shot a few video clips so I could capture some sound clips of the bagpipes...





I had to hold the camera high above my head in order to get a view of anything beyond the people standing right in front of me. As I held my camera high above my head, my arms began shaking and shaking more and more the longer I held it up over my head. In hindsight, a long monopod would have been a better idea making it far easier on my neck and shoulders (plus, for those stuck standing behind me trying to view the stage, a monopod would not have blocked as much of the view as both my arms do). Regardless, this is a nice and short video to help us remember this proud day. 

Of course, all the still photos are nice to have as well!

Again, congratulations, Liza!


Comments