Recurrence of the Foot Injury

I was down and, for the most part, relegated to the couch for about a month recently due to some significant foot problems. I visited the doctor... we did some x-rays... and came to some conclusions about tendonitis, arthritis and subsequent swelling. The swelling was significant enough that I could not walk on it nor could I fit into any of my shoes.

After about a month of hobbling around with a cane and a lot of pain, my foot slowly felt more like "normal" again. 

Then, after about a week of "relatively normal" activity on my foot, I suddenly began having problems again! The recurring tendonitis (Achilles tendon) was making it difficult and painful to walk again and I was feeling some swelling in my heel (as opposed to my entire foot last time around).

Although there is no doubt that after decades of extreme sports and a physically demanding career that my feet are a weak point and prone to injury, I've been feeling as though something other than activity is triggering this problem. It came on too suddenly. My feet are already damaged from decades of abuse but I felt that something must be triggering these sudden worsening problems. 

This happened to me two years ago as well after doing a bunch of home renovation work that involved being on the floor and sitting on my feet. 

After this last quick bout, I think I may have figured out my particular trigger for this problem this time around so I've made a few changes to my medications and diet. We'll see how it goes. Since I made the changes within a day or two of this newest bout of tendonitis, I managed to heal quickly.

What sucks is that I spent about five of the past six weeks confined to the couch with my foot elevated... being iced regularly... and pounding anti-inflammatory drugs.  

I really want to get out and accomplish something now! 


Comments