Full Length Train Show Video

When we went to the Amherst Railway Society's train show this past January, I had planned to shoot a lot of photos and a lot of video. We had nobody there with us this year so there was very little socializing to do. Well...  there was indeed some socializing done in the hotel bar at night but there was very little socializing at the show. I figured I had time and energy for both photos and video at the show.

I always shoot a lot of photos but, since there would be very little socializing time, I decided to focus on getting enough video clips to put together a loonnngggg video of the various operating model railroads at the show. 
Sheila, at the show

Most of my photography gear is rather lightweight now. I traded in some older, heavier gear for newer, lighter and better gear. This year I walked around with one little camera body set up for video and another relatively small camera body set up for still photos. Then I had an extra lens and a bunch of batteries. It was pretty lightweight compared to the past.

When we left the show on Sunday afternoon, I think I had close to an hour worth of video clips. I knew I wouldn't need nearly this much. Even I would be bored to tears watching video clip after video clip of trains for an hour! I did, however, want the video to be long enough with enough model railroading variety to hold the interest of Lukey, our grandson.  

Lukey and Kenzie couldn't make it to the show this year so I wanted to make sure I captured enough video clips so I could put together a lengthy video of the best clips for them to watch. Hopefully, Lukey and Kenzie will be able to join us at next year's show. The rest of our usual crew plans to be there next year including some other kids so it would be a great time for Lukey and Kenzie to join us at the show again.

I kept the clips short and I trimmed the total length to less than 20 minutes. The clips are sharp and the color is nice so that is a plus too. In a perfect world, it would have been nice to use a monopod or tripod for steadier shots but this show gets far too crowded for too much photography gear! I shot handheld all weekend long and the results are pretty good. 

Sound... in hindsight, I should have added a better mic to my camera. I actually had a better mic with me but chose to keep my camera as light as possible instead. In hindsight, I wish I had used the better mic. The on-camera mic is picking up too much noise around us. The sound would have been better with the better mic... obviously. 

I also took the easy route on putting together this video by not editing the sound at all... no background music... no narrative... just straight clips with unedited audio. I went the KISS route (Keep It Simple, Stupid). All that being said, one of these days I hope to put more effort into capturing the best video possible.  




I'm sure Lukey will enjoy all these short clips put together in one video. I'm not sure it will hold his attention for a full 20 minutes but I know he'll want to come back to the video often!


Comments