Snow Moon Again

As I was passing by the living room window heading to the bedroom tonight, I noticed that the sky was clear...  two nights in a row is a shocking surprise...  and the full Snow Moon was again shining brightly so I grabbed my camera and shot a couple of quick photos out the living room window.  This supermoon is still appearing a bit larger than normal even though it was higher in the sky tonight than it was the previous night when I noticed it shining in our living room window.  

As much as I'm dying to get out there with a telescope or two, it is still far too frigid out there for me.  I'll wait for the temperatures to get into the 40s!  Right now, we're closer to -40 than we are 40 degrees.  To set up the telescope and mount, I need about 15 minutes.  Then I need another 15 minutes or so to properly level and align the telescope with the celestial north pole.  By the time I'm done doing that, I'd be freezing and dying to get back indoors so it doesn't make any sense to even attempt to start setting up a telescope outdoors in weather like this.  

It would have been nice to do some astrophotography with a telescope while the moon is at its closest to Earth for 2019.  I would be able to capture some awesome images of the moon!  

There are actually quite a few objects in the night sky I would love to photograph.  I'm still waiting for the weather to cooperate with my health.  I also need the weather and my health to cooperate with nature too.  I need all three of these things to align perfectly in order to be able to view the night sky.  

As far as problems with nature, last summer and autumn we had a resident bear keeping us indoors every night (everyone within a half mile of us).  I missed out on a lot of decent weather for astronomy and astrophotography because of that hungry, roaming bear.  Actually, that bear was such a deterrent to viewing the night sky that I started collecting equipment to view our sun in daytime instead so I guess something good came from that experience.

Hopefully this year will be better for astronomy...  well...  let's hope this year will be better all around!



Comments