Train to San Francisco

After spending a few days in Roseville and Sacramento visiting Adam and Joi, we turned in our rental car and hopped on a train to San Francisco.  Adam and Joi accompanied us on this part of our journey so there were no goodbyes necessary just yet.

There is no doubt that we had been looking forward to spending time with Adam and Joi in Roseville but spending time in San Francisco was the main attraction of our long cross-country journey in my mind.  I was definitely looking forward to spending time in San Francisco but I also think Sheila, Will and Sue were excited about this part of our journey as well. 

We headed to the Sacramento train station in the morning.  Sheila and I dropped everyone off at the station and then she and I headed to the rental car place about a mile away in downtown Sacramento.  We dropped the keys in the drop box and then called for an Uber to take us back to the station where everyone was waiting for us...


The Sacramento train station is a bit spread out so there was a bit of a walk to get to our track...  for anyone going to this train station, plan for an extra 10-15 minutes just for walking...


Our two hour train ride to San Francisco completed our cross-country journey taking us all the way to San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean.  I slept through most of this leg though.  I was exhausted!  

The scenery on this leg of our journey was unimpressive and, actually, a bit shocking for what I imagined California to be.  The route along the Sacramento River and then the numerous bays to San Francisco Bay were littered with more trash than we had seen anywhere else on our cross-country journey.  In addition to trash being strewn everywhere, the shoreline was dotted with homeless tents.  I definitely did not expect to see so much trash everywhere in California and that was a bit disheartening.  

Anyway, our train ride to Emeryville (between Berkeley and Oakland on the other side of the San Francisco Bay from San Francisco) was uneventful and this little bit of time allowed for logging some much needed nap time!  

We called for two Ubers to pick the six of us up with all of our luggage.  Fitting all of us together with our luggage in one vehicle was tough to do at this time of day so we split up for this part of the journey from Emeryville to The Inn at The Presidio in San Francisco.  I was busy enjoying the scenery on our car ride through San Francisco so I didn't shoot many photographs.  I was shocked that I recognized a lot of places that I had seen in movies and television shows.  I never really realized how many television shows and movies have been filmed in San Francisco.  

So, here are a few photos I shot while on our Uber ride from the train station to our destination at The Presidio...




Here we are entering the Lombard Street main gate to The Presidio...


One of the reasons I was looking forward to San Francisco was due to where we were staying.  We chose to stay at The Inn at the Presidio which is an historic building on an historic military installation...  a place where I knew I would feel right at home. 

We were all excited to be here by the time we arrived...


Comments