Figure Skating with Kenzie

The blog has taken a backseat to my health in recent months.  I haven't had the energy to write at all.  As a result, I am way behind in keeping this blog even slightly up to date!   I shot a bunch of photos of Kenzie the other day (over 2000 photos!) so I'll start with a new blog entry about her.  

We spent some time the other day being entertained by Kenzie at her last figure skating lesson for this season.  We had watched her a few weeks ago and I really need to mention that she has improved significantly in the past few weeks.  Actually, she has improved so much in just three short weeks that it came as a bit of a pleasant shock when we watched her the other day.  Both Gee and I were quite impressed.  

Kenzie had some alone time on the ice before her lesson.  The ice was clean and fresh and there were only a handful of people here at the rink during her warm-up time doing laps around the rink.  It was obvious that she was working on one thing at a time as she did her deliberate laps...



I was a bit surprised when she started her practice routine working on jumps.  She worked on jumps for longer than I thought she would.  She isn't getting a ton of air but, for a seven year old in her first session of figure skating lessons, I was pleasantly surprised and quite impressed...  and she never fell once while practicing her jumps!











After each jump, she would look over at me and the camera with a big smile on her face...
















You can see Pop, Nan, Lukey and Liza behind the glass in the background.  That is the warm area at the end of the rink...





Everyone had arrived at this point so it was time to start on the lesson...








Lukey joined Gee and me on the hockey bench.  I spent most of my time crouched down in the door to the ice shooting photos from as close to the ice as I could get.  Of course, I shot a few of Lukey too...




Lukey got to use one of my longer lenses while I was shooting with a different camera and wide lens.  He had never used this long and relatively heavy combo before so it was a new experience for him.  He got to shoot a few bursts each time I needed to switch to the wide combo...



Kenzie's friend lost control of her skates, in a rather painful way...  they kept slowly drifting farther and farther apart... 


Resulting in an unintended split...


They both thought it was pretty funny!  And, I laugh every time I see this sequence of photos...


In the photo, below, the instructor is working on teaching Kenzie how to transition from skating forward to skating backward in one swift turn of the body...




Kenzie finished up her last lesson with a loose and quick pairs skate...


We had fun watching Kenzie!  This is definitely something she should be doing as often as possible because it was abundantly clear to Gee and me that she was enjoying herself immensely and it appears as though she has some talent in this activity.  

She will be skating in a figure skating skills competition in a few weeks and we're looking forward to that event!


Comments