Still Residing on the Couch

I am still residing in the living room on the couch with my left leg elevated, icing it every few hours, and trying to keep the pain in check.  This is now the end of day five on the couch.  Fun times.

Yesterday morning, I was finally feeling like my ankle was beginning to heal.  I was able to put a slight bit of weight on my foot again so I figured it was a good time to attempt to shower.  Getting in and out of the tub so I can shower has been an impossible task so I was ripe for a shower by yesterday morning.  I managed to shower and then headed to the kitchen to make something for breakfast.

I hobbled into the kitchen and spent some time upright preparing breakfast for myself...  back and forth in the kitchen...  back and forth between the kitchen and the couch with food and water while still hobbling with my cane in one hand...  in all, I think I was upright for about an hour.

After all that standing and hobbling around with my cane, the pain was beginning to return.  After breakfast, I removed my sock to take a closer look at my ankle and foot...  now it was swollen worse than it has ever been.  It was obvious it was too soon to do a bit of standing and shuffling around on my feet.  I set myself back by about a day and a half.  On the positive side, this also made it obvious to me that I need to go extra slow with this injury this time around so there was a bit of a lesson learned through this setback.  

So, I slept on the couch again last night.  I just can't get my leg and foot in the right position when in the bed so I've been sleeping on the couch since Saturday night.  Sleeping in the bed on Friday, which was the last time I slept in the bed, was so painful that I couldn't sleep at all so I'm not in much of a hurry to attempt that again.  Instead, I've been residing on the couch, all day and all night. 

Today the swelling has subsided to where it was a couple of days ago so that is good.  I can put a tiny bit of weight on my foot...  for instance, just very lightly using my left foot for balance only.  I suspect I'll be continuing to ice my ankle every few hours for the rest of this week at this rate.  

Anyway and needless to say, I have not accomplished a single thing since last Thursday.  I'm a bit bored.  My days and nights have been filled with movies, sitcoms and a few NCAA basketball games.  I tried reading but the pain is interfering with my concentration so that hasn't worked out too well so far.  The pain has subsided a little bit so that is a spot of good news but I am still laid-up and couch-bound.  


Comments