Good Weather, Finally... but, Lousy Health

It has been warm the past two days and today is looking to be a beautiful, sunny, warm spring day too.  I had planned to utilize the good weather to start working on things outside where sawdust is not an issue.  This week is looking good for that and I have a bunch of small projects that need to be accomplished.  Actually, I've been waiting months to be able to pull out woodworking tools to accomplish a few things.

Unfortunately, once again, my health is being a bit uncooperative.  

My ankle is still healing.  Sheila and I wandered outside yesterday to take down wreaths and Christmas lights.  I stepped up on the first step of a stepladder and quickly realized my ankle was still in no condition for climbing a short stepladder.  I instantly fell off and onto unlevel snow on the ground.  This hurt both of my ankles again setting me back a couple of days.  I have no need for my cane now but getting around is still a bit painful and slow-going.  I'm taking small steps and taking those steps very slowly.

I started pulling out tools this morning only to find myself getting completely worn out.  I haven't even finished collecting the tools I will need for these little projects and I am already out of energy.  This fatigue is due to my Systemic Mastocytosis, mostly.  I'm still not sleeping great due to ankle pain but this sort of fatigue that I am experiencing today is typical mast cell disease 'overwhelming fatigue.  I know from experience that I cannot and should not push myself through this type of fatigue because that will only cause my health to plunge into anaphylaxis.  

At this point, I suppose I should focus on using up a bit more energy to make lunch and then nap.  I guess I started my day today with very few "spoons".  I've written about and credited this spoon theory in previous blog posts but I like to give the credit where and when it is due hence providing the link.  The spoon theory is a great explanation of the overwhelming fatigue I face everyday.  When I get up in the morning, I must decide how and when to use the little bit of energy I may have.  Today, I've run out of spoons long before lunchtime and yet I've accomplished nothing.

After napping through the afternoon, I'll try collecting a few of the tools I will need to get started on these projects.  This will save a little energy before getting started tomorrow, hopefully...

Comments