A New Wall Clock

Our living room wall clock has been an intermittent problem for months and it finally bit the dust about a month ago.  So, we were on an internet search for a better clock.  

There was a beautiful clock at Monticello that is sold as a reproduction that both Sheila and I really liked.  I've mentioned this before in this blog but I should mention it again here in this blog entry that I have always been fascinated by Thomas Jefferson and his Monticello homestead.  I even studied this historic home design while in college as an engineering student.  I like Monticello's fusion of old European, French Provincial and Early American styles.  One could also argue that Monticello has many Craftsman features and details as well.  These are all styles I am fusing together in our own home.  

So, finding a wall clock at the Monticello gift shop was a plus and we both really liked this clock.  The problem was that I had never spent more than about $40 for a clock in my life and this clock cost significantly more so we kept searching for wall clocks.  I just wasn't ready to significantly increase our budget for a wall clock.

It turns out that the only clocks I liked were quite expensive.  We even found a couple of other clocks at Monticello that we both really liked.  In the end, we chose the first Monticello clock and I purchased it a week ago.

The clock arrived yesterday and I immediately opened the big box, inserted a battery into the back of the clock, set the clock to the correct time and hung it on the wall.  It is larger than any wall clock either of us has ever owned and it is really nice.  Neither of us is really a big fan of noisy clocks yet this clock has a very tolerable and quiet pendulum action.  It really fits our home well!



Ironically, I'm really not someone who is all that into clocks.  I'm no fan of fancy scrollwork, antlers, or clocks made of other oddities.  I don't like mantle clocks.  I just wanted one functional wall clock and I wanted it to be a noticeable feature in our living room that matches our home style.  This Monticello clock was the right choice.

I can't tell you how many times over the past couple of months that I have looked at the empty spot on the wall where our old clock used to hang in a futile attempt to see the time so it is nice to have a functional and attractive clock again.  


Comments