A Belated Thanksgiving Dinner

After a few mistakes made this past weekend which delayed our traditional Thanksgiving dinner and resulted in some ruined alternate meals throughout the weekend, we managed to have a very-well prepared but rather belated Thanksgiving dinner this evening. 



My favorite dish of this dinner was and always is the homemade cranberry sauce.  I added some diced apples and diced pears to the cranberry sauce this time around and that really worked out well.  I think I'll be doing that again in the future (if I remember).  It was delicious.  I had prepared the cranberry sauce on Wednesday so all we had to do this evening was open a jar where we had stored it.  

I normally totally despise green bean casserole because most people make it with a can of soup and a can of fried onions.  I don't do it this way.  Actually, if I had my way, canned soup would never be in my house and especially not to be used as an ingredient to another dish.  For this green bean casserole, I made a white bechamel sauce and then topped the dish with homemade fried onion strings.  That was pretty good too.

The mashed potatoes are actually onion mashed potatoes.  The onion in the potatoes is sauteed onions.  Tasty!

I made some homemade yams with brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup...  which really complements the cranberry sauce very well.  This was a pretty good dish too.

Now to the main dish...  turkey.  Uggg.  Our turkey was still very moist though and the skin was tasty so that was a plus.  I made a gravy from the drippings but, unfortunately, it was still poultry gravy.  

We did have two pre-prepared dishes though...  I made some Stovetop Stuffing and some PIllsbury Homestyle Biscuits.  Nothing fancy here but acceptably edible.  Actually, I find stuffing that is cooked on the inside of a dead bird to be an immensely disgusting thought so I always opt for cooking it on the side anyway.  This time around I chose Stovetop Stuffing since Sheila doesn't like stuffing anyway.  

Although we haven't eaten it yet,  Sheila made some Flan for dessert.  That should be good too!

All in all, it turned out to be a nice meal that we ate in about ten minutes after two hours of non-stop cooking.  That is far too much work for this meal.  I really do wish that standing rib roasts were easier to find around here.  I know that is what Sheila and I will be making for Christmas!

Comments