Our Start to Thanksgiving Weekend

We started our Thanksgiving weekend yesterday with some food prep, Florida and Dayton NCAA Tournament basketball games (never, never, never lunkhead football in this house), and a nice Thanksgiving Eve dinner.  

Yesterday, I started my morning making some sweet mint tea and homemade blackberry syrup.  Then I got started on making homemade cranberry sauce.  I made very small batches this year since we will again be home alone due to the lingering and once again flaring pandemic.  

Sheila and I both had this virus before testing was even available last year (not that I have any faith in our lame testing and almost non-existent standard guidelines for testing) and it was an absolutely miserable experience so we are avoiding all chances of getting this virus again.  I am actually still struggling with debilitating inflammation and swelling so I have no desire to prolong this any longer than necessary.  So, we'll be home alone again for this holiday.  We do, however, have our Alexa Show for video chatting.  

I added chunks of pear and apple into the homemade cranberry sauce this year.  I did a quick taste test yesterday and it is tasting delicious!




Last night, I made a nice Spanish Garlic Pasta dish for dinner.  That was a bit different but very good!  




After dinner, we watched the finals of an NCAA Basketball holiday tournament.  Florida was playing Ohio State...  Florida came back to win the game right at the buzzer with a very long three point basket.  That was a nice way to finish the night. 

We're starting today with the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and then making an Italian Pear cake for today's dessert.  After baking the cake, then I'll get started on our Thanksgiving dinner...  Turkey breast, onion mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, green beans in a homemade cream sauce topped with fried onion strings, stuffing and biscuits.  

As we do more cooking and baking today, I'll shoot more photos and then write a bit more here in the blog... 

Comments