Bad Water Filter

I had previously written about getting a new refrigerator back in February or March when I was doing a bit of whining about needing to settle on choosing a new refrigerator and that we were not happy with what was available.  We also were not happy about the prices of what I feel is garbage.  Unfortunately, prices are up and options are severely limited due to the circuit board shortage.  On the positive side, we were able to replace our broken refrigerator within a few short days.  

One of the things I complained about when I previous wrote was the terrible water and ice dispenser on this Whirlpool refrigerator.  In particular, we were not happy with the water pressure coming out of the water dispenser.  It was very much like a trickle.  

The other night, Sheila was trying to dispense some water and an alarm sounded.  An icon lit up on the display indicating we needed to change the water filter.  I had already ordered replacement water filters for this refrigerator when we had purchased it so I had three filters on hand.  The following morning I was greeted with the icon reminding me to change the filter.  

I popped out the old filter...  slid in the new filter...  closed the door...  and began to flush out a couple of gallons of water until the water was clear again.  The first thing I noticed was that the water pressure coming out of the water dispenser was what I would consider a normal flow!  It was now a far more noticeably amount of water flowing out of the dispenser than we had with the old filter.  So, the filter that came with the refrigerator was the culprit causing the low water pressure!

The original filter that was in the refrigerator when it arrived was an "Everydrop" filter so we won't be purchasing "Everydrop" water filters in the future.  That was the terrible, low pressure filter.  The replacement filters we had purchased on our own are "Top Pure" filters and I can say with absolute certainty that we will continue to purchase the "Top Pure" filters.  Well...  if some other problem arises due to these filters we'll have to find another brand but we won't be going back to the Everydrop filters.

The bad water filter.
There are still other things we dislike about this piece of junk refrigerator like the hard-to-activate buttons on the control panel and the very-hard-to-depress dispenser paddles needing so much force that you could break a glass while trying to get water or ice.  We have to apply so much force to these paddles that it is not safe to press a glass up against the paddle.  Instead, we place the glass down on the tray and then press the paddle with our hand applying far more force than should be necessary.  

Also, I have found that I'm not really a fan of side-by-side refrigerators.  I always feel like I'm trying to reach the refrigerator through a fence that is missing a fence board.  It is that same exact feeling I get whenever I watch a cellphone video that was recorded vertically instead of horizontally like the orientation of all monitors and televisions.  Watching these videos is like peeking through a fence that has one fence board missing.  I feel the same about this side-by-side refrigerator.  I always feel like it is a tight squeeze when trying to access either the refrigerator or freezer.  They are far too narrow.  Side-by-side refrigerators should be a minimum of four feet wide and that would likely resolve the cramped looking-through-a-vertical-slot in a fence feeling

Oh...  and that is another thing I dislike about the side-by-side refrigerators...  each side (refrigerator and freezer) is actually deeper than it is wide.  This makes getting at things frustrating too.  You end up having to pull things out of the refrigerator to get at other things or to find things almost every time you are taking something out of the refrigerator.  And, you need to do this while feeling like you are squeezing through a tiny vertical slot in a fence!  

On the positive side, we resolved the mystery of the low water pressure in this rather crappy refrigerator.  

The water filters we will continue to use.



Comments