A Visit To The Train Station

A few evenings ago, we visited the Waterbury train station with Lukey and Kenzie.  It was a day when I was not feeling all that well so I kept things simple in the hopes of an uneventful quick trip downtown.  I didn't bring a heavy camera bag.  I put some emergency medications in my pockets, I grabbed one camera body with one lens, and I grabbed a scanner so we could listen to the chatter on the radio as the Amtrak train approached and departed the station.

Both Lukey and Kenzie were happy to be at the train station waiting for the train.  I think we all preferred to be getting on the train to head out-of-town but watching the train arrive and depart would be enough to create some smiling faces and some nice photos...





The Amtrak Vermonter from Penn Station in Manhattan was running a little late this night so we had some down time.  There is a park across the street from the train station so the kids wanted to go over to the swings while we waited for the delayed Amtrak train to arrive.  

I took a quick look over to the swings in the park across the street to see whether or not it seemed like a good idea to send the kids over that way.  I immediately noticed a few older kids hanging out there.  I didn't know them so I told Lukey and Kenzie that I didn't think it was a good idea for them to head over there since I didn't know those who were over there already.  Waterbury is a relatively safe place but, at that moment, I just didn't feel right allowing the kids to go over there.  I had a bad feeling and I always trust these sort of feelings.  They've never mislead me.  In fact, they've saved me many times over the decades.

It turns out that a couple of hours after we were there, two people were stabbed in a fight right there where the kids wanted to go.  I was right to trust my gut feelings.  So, we stayed at the train station to wait on the train.  I killed time by finding more things to capture in photographs...






This photo, below, is purposely out-of-focus.  I thought it would make an interesting composition...


I noticed the crescent moon in the sky and it was located right over one of the "Waterbury" signs along the train station platform.  Just to the left of the moon and slightly lower in the sky was Venus.  Off to the left even farther but at about the same height as the moon was Mars.  Mars is very faint but it is visible...



Gee and Kenzie are checking on the status of the train while Lukey listens to the scanner waiting for it to crackle to life with Amtrak chatter.  Earlier, we heard some chatter from Burlington.  They were getting Track 2 ready for the arrival of Amtrak's Ethan Allen Express train.


The Vermonter is pulling into the station...



Now the train is departing the station as it heads toward Essex Junction...



That was a nice visit to the train station.  Fortunately, the violence waited until we had departed the area!



Comments