Figure Skating Lesson

About two weeks ago, we went to one of Kenzie's figure skating lessons.  It was actually nice to step into winter for a bit rather than be in the heat and humidity!

This was the first lesson of Kenzie's we've seen since purchasing her a new pair of figure skates.  We're happy to say that we noticed a significant improvement in her skating since her ice show back in February!  I'm sure part of the reason for such a significant improvement is simply due to her getting older and stronger.  However, since she was clearly more sure-footed and fluid at this lesson and practice session, we have a very strong feeling that the biggest reason for her significant improvement is due to the new skates.

Both Sheila and I feel as though she could be a pretty good figure skater so we're hoping she sticks with it.  Of course, getting ice time for practice is difficult for various reasons so growth comes slowly which can be frustrating for the skater.  


_____________________________________________________________


You know...  I'm just now looking more closely at the lead photo on this page and noticed that Boston Bruins emblem on Kenzie's hat.  That clearly appears to be a basketball...  no, it IS a basketball on that emblem.  Regardless of what they (Boston) claim it is, it IS a basketball and, more importantly, it is easily and instantly recognized by even a child as a basketball.  The designer seems to have broken the number one rule of graphic designers.  

So, I just checked to see if that really is a Bruins emblem and it is.  Why on Earth do they have a basketball on an emblem for a hockey team?  I honestly was thinking that perhaps Kenzie purchased the wrong hat and it is really a Boston Celtics hat.  

Regardless, anything "Boston" turns my stomach.  All my hospital visits to Boston have only cemented this feeling and made it even more intense.  So, I guess seeing that the Bruins hockey team has a basketball on their emblem/logo tickles me. 


_____________________________________________________________


Okay, back to Kenzie and her skating.  

Seeing Kenzie's improvement over the past few months with little to no practice, I can't help but think that it would be nice if Kenzie could skate three or four times a week.  I actually feel like I skated far more often when I was her age than she does and all of my skating was outdoors on ponds, lakes and backyard rinks.  Regardless, Kenzie is looking good on the ice now and it looks like this is something she could be good at so we're hoping she sticks with it.  

Of course, we want her to be happy so if she decides sometime down the road that figure skating makes her unhappy, then we would support her moving into something else she likes.  The more things she does and the more experiences she gains, the better off she'll be as an educated, thoughtful and well-rounded adult.  She's moving into a new level of figure skating now and this new level of skills is more entertaining to watch and I'm sure it is more satisfying for her as well.

Even in these photos, I can see that she is more at ease and sure of herself on the ice...











Ace gets excited seeing Kenzie out on the ice skating...  although, here, he is watching Papa...


Lukey had one of my other cameras and helped me photograph Kenzie throughout her lesson and practice session.  In hindsight, I should have attempted to capture some short video clips too.  I haven't shot any video of the grandkids in quite a while.  I think Christmas was the last time I shot any video clips of them.











Lukey looks like he could be a sports photographer...


We had a good time at this lesson and it was really nice to see Kenzie's significant development and growth.  Gee and I are definitely looking forward to this new school year of figure skating!



Comments