Excruciating Pain

By mid-week last week, I started using my cane because my lumbar spinal pain was making it difficult to walk.  I would also get stabbing pains in the tops of my feet that would hit me like lightning.  At the time, my constant pain level was in the four to five out of ten range.  

Unfortunately, this pain did not pass quickly...  definitely not as quickly as I would like.  By the weekend, my pain level increased to the unbearable seven to eight range.  I could not get comfortable.  I couldn't sleep.  I couldn't do anything.  The pain was constantly unbearable.

I took two Aleves on Saturday but they didn't touch the pain.  I got no relief whatsoever.  The pain continued to get worse into the night.  By 1:30am, even dozing for a few minutes was impossible.  Getting to the bathroom in the wee hours of Sunday morning was unbearably excruciating.  All day Sunday, the pain was well in the eight to eight-plus range.  

On Saturday and Sunday, I used an ice pack on my lumbar spine about six times through the day.  That provided some temporary relief but the unbearable pain always returned within minutes.  By Sunday night I was really sick and tired of ice packs though.  

All day Sunday, I alternated between Aleve and aspirin every four hours.  Sunday was brutal.  Actually, Saturday and Sunday were both brutal but Sunday was the worst day.  I attempted to sleep in bed Sunday night but that didn't work.  In the wee hours, I hobbled back out to the couch.  

Today is Monday and, fortunately, my condition is very slowly improving.  I'm feeling more like I did on Saturday.  I still have constant pain and the pain is in the unbearable range but it is not like Sunday's pain so that is a good sign.  

Actually, this pain seems to be radiating from the site of last year's bone marrow biopsy in my right pelvis.  Logically, though, I'm almost entirely certain that this is a problem with my lumbar spine...  radiating through my right pelvis to my right hip...  down my right buttocks...  down the inside and front of my right thigh...  radiating pain through my right knee...  and even radiating pain through the top half of my right shin.  The pain is worst in my right pelvis, right hip and right knee.

I attempted to type this blog entry on Saturday and Sunday but I was not able to accomplish even this!  Although I am still feeling constant pain, I have finally managed to type for a short while with my Surface tablet in my lap on the couch.

Hopefully this will continue to improve...  


UPDATE:  It is now Monday night but I wanted to add to this blog entry.  I have been thinking about this spinal nerve problem all day.  Sheila and I even discussed it a bit tonight and we're both thinking the same thing.

This isn't the first time that a COVID infection brought on painful nerve pain and swelling.  There was one summer when both Sheila and I got COVID.  I ended up with a very painful and swollen knee while Sheila ended up with a painful and swollen elbow.  We had other joints that were also hurting but not nearly as badly as my knee and her elbow.  Sheila was in a brace for a couple of weeks while I was on crutches for most of the summer.  I think this problem I am experiencing now is the same problem...  nerve inflammation due to long-COVID.

This current problem seems to be one nerve from my lumbar spine to my shin that is inflamed this time rather than just a single joint.  I'm hoping that this doesn't last long though.  At the moment, standing is extremely painful.  I'm still using a cane to get around but I can only manage to stand for a few short minutes (2-3 minutes) before the pain becomes excruciating.  The pain gets so bad that it takes my breath away and I need to get off my feet.

At this point, it seems as though the pain is ever so slowly subsiding.  It is happening very slowly but I feel as though my condition is improving.  At rest, I am at around a five on the ten point pain scale.  When I make my way to the bathroom, the pain jumps to a seven and it is difficult getting around.  When I stand for a few minutes (ie, in the kitchen while getting some food), the pain is definitely into the range of an eight and it begins taking my breath away.

I'm still residing on the couch.  I've found that I can manage to get more comfortable on the couch than I can in bed for some reason.  This does not mean, however, that I am "comfortable"...  not in the least.  I am in constant pain...  from my lumbar spine...  across my right pelvis and the site of my last bone marrow biopsy....  to my right hip...   pain radiating down my right buttocks as well as from my right hip into my thigh...   pain down the front and inside of my thigh...   my knee is in constant pain...  and then the pain radiates in my right shin too.  The couch, however, is more comfortable for me than the bed.  Maybe it is because I am lying flatter in bed than when on the couch and propped up with pillows?  I don't know.  

What I do know is that this has been and still is quite brutal.  At some point, I'm probably going to need to make an appointment with my doctor if this doesn't resolve on its own.... maybe I'll try to get through the week and make an appointment on Friday if I am still struggling with this excruciating pain and difficulty being on my feet.


Comments