Time To Add Detail Parts

After deciding upon a track elevation for our garden railroad, I decided to see what the locomotive looks like on track at the specified elevation in the garden.  

Here, below, is a front view.  I still need to install the marker lights.  I'm waiting on new light bulbs to arrive.  The original bulbs were only 6v bulbs (I think...  one blew out at around 9-10v) but it is easier to work with 12v bulbs.  The DCC circuit board I'm using outputs 12v for the lighting.  I could have added resistors to the 6v bulbs but preferred to keep all the bulbs in the locomotive the same.  Consequently, I have yet another delay because I'm now waiting on new bulbs to arrive.


This weathering is looking pretty good now.  What used to be a shiny plastic, toy-like body with brightly molded-in color now appears to be a weathered metal locomotive.  And, I completely changed the color(s) to make this a very unique locomotive.


I just noticed that the rear wheelset of the leading wheel truck is not on the rails.  That was a pretty dumb mistake for a photo shoot!  

As mentioned in a previous blog entry, I toned down the rust that I had initially applied so I'm feeling like there is a nice balance now.  Previously, the rust was overpowering the weathering.  Things are more balanced now.


I still need to add some detail parts but this is looking good now.  My plan is to completely wire the locomotive before adding all the parts.  As it is now, unfinished, I can still just pull the outer shell off the drive chassis without needing to remove any screws.  If I add all the detail parts, I'll need to remove screws and some of the detail parts to gain access to the wiring and motor.  One step at a time and wiring is the next step.  I'm just waiting on those light bulbs.


Below is another shot of the detailed cab.  I did a little more work on the cab yesterday...  some fine detail weathering...


This is the rear of the observation passenger car.  That big South Pacific Coast emblem is illuminated.  Oh...  I plan to add marker lights to the rear end of this car too!   I also have a caboose that will get a set of marker lights too for when I want to run a freight train rather than a passenger train.


Below is a wider view showing the height of the track now and the train is in its garden where it will reside.  So far, I'm liking this height.  This is the straight-away section where I will have a train station.  Well...  it is really only eight feet of an 11 foot straight-away.  The rest of the garden layout will have sweeping compound curves flowing around the perimeter of the garden. 


Next spring, I think I'll spend a little more time designing the landscaping in this garden.  I know I want Lupines in here.  I already planted the seeds this spring but we probably won't see the Lupines until late summer since I planted late.  

It is looking good though!





Comments

Post a Comment