Train Show Time!

January is always our "train show month".  This is when we head down to Springfield, Massachusetts every year for the largest train show in the northeast.  Actually, I would not be surprised if this is the largest train show in the country every year.  

The Amherst Railway Society's Annual Railroad Hobby Show is a very large and amazing event which is not only a lot of fun all weekend long, but it is also a very productive fundraiser.  The primary beneficiary of this fundraiser is always a children's hospital.  Since we have been attending the show I believe the Bay State Children's Hospital has been the recipient each year. Additionally, a dozen or two historical railroads and railroad museums receive proceeds each year as well.  

In the years we have been attending the show, I believe we have seen between 50,000-60,000 visitors at each show.  Considering the problems we had this year in finding hotel accomodations, a few months in advance, I suspect this year's show just might see an even higher attendance!

On the Saturday night of our long train show weekend, we started a new tradition last year... We head to a German Festhaus restaurant nearby for some good beer and food!  This year we should have a group of people with us from the Philadelphia area as well as some of Sheila's family from Maine. As always, it should be a lot of fun both at the show and at the hotel.  

Until this hectic weekend, I really need to rest and take care of my health so we'll be able to attend the show.  Between my spinal issues and the Systemic Mastocytosis stuff, it is easy to overdo it and diminish my chances at having a relatively trouble-free weekend.  Last year I had some health problems which caused me to miss a good chunk of the show...  I don't want to experience that again!  Actually, I feel as though I want to make up for last year's problems this year!

Below is one of the videos I put together (with almost 80,000 views as of this writing!) from the show a couple of years ago as well as a slideshow of some select photos from the shows we have attended. 

Enjoy!




Amherst Railway Society Railroad Hobby Show 2012 from Patrick Maher on Vimeo.



Comments