If We Were Able To Move...

As many of you know, we are planning a short trip to Dayton, Ohio because I am being honored at The National Museum of the US Air Force. In planning this trip, I have been looking at hotels (easily found one... our favorite in the Dayton area) and some local attractions to keep us busy. 

I had lived in Dayton for about seven or eight years so I know the area fairly well including the history and local attractions (as long as my memory is having a good day and I am not struggling with any of my typical mast cell disease 'brain fog'). I just need to verify the attractions we want to see are still open and what days/hours they are open. Dayton was once a thriving small midwestern city but the economy for the past 15-20 years has actually caused a bit of a depression for this beautiful, historic area of our country which has adversely affected many businesses and attractions.  

If I had the money and were able to just pack up and move, I would move to this area of the country in a heartbeat.  If I had the money, I would be investing in real estate while more and more buildings are becoming vacant. I would also create businesses which would hire enough people to put these people into my rental properties. I see great potential for this little city with character and rich in history. Unfortunately, my health is in no condition to realistically think about pulling off something like this without it killing me!

That being said, we can still dream...  right?

While looking for good and interesting places to eat dinner while we are there, I thought a nice walk through the Oregon District in downtown Dayton would be a nice idea. There are plenty of restaurants and bars along the main business roads through this district...  brick-lined roads and historical brick buildings dating to the early 1800's. There are plenty of options here for dinner and a few drinks and a nice walk.


                                                              Photo courtesy of Realtor.com
Also within this Oregon Historical District bordered by another brick-lined strip of great nightlife are many historical homes from the same period in the 19th century. The brick streets are lined with mature trees and beautiful homes with character and charm. I've always had an interest in homes, especially homes with character, and these homes and this neighborhood have always captured my attention and struck me as being beautiful. Thinking about walking through this historical neighborhood during our upcoming visit has piqued my curiosity which brought me to some real estate listings...

If we were able to move at this point in our lives, Dayton would be on a short list of options.  To be more specific, moving into this Oregon Historic District would also be on a short list of areas of interest within the Dayton area. 

Just as a short example...  the home pictured above is currently for sale at $145,000.  It has four bedrooms, two baths, more than 3000 square feet, a respectable yard for a downtown city area as well as three private parking spots on the property.  This historic home has a tremendous amount of character, architectural details and beautiful curb appeal but, admittedly, is in need of some care. All that being said, it is only $145,000!

A quick scan of the Oregon Historic District shows real estate prices ranging from as low as $48,000 (foreclosures in need of significant work) to around $500,000 for very large, multi-level and expansive historic city homes.  This would be the time to buy!  

We're really looking forward to our trek to Dayton. For me, visiting Dayton is always like visiting home plus we're excited about another visit to the Air Force Museum.


Comments