Wainscoting Installed

Pedestal sink will be installed here...  the bowl will
be mounted on the wood cross-pieces above
the drain and supply plumbing pipes.
I had a productive day today... which was a refreshing change! 

I managed to install the wainscoting in the new half bathroom today. I've installed this type of paneling in our living room already but I did things a little differently today...

In the living room, this paneling runs from floor to ceiling and is stained. In this new half bath, we are using this paneling style as a wainscoting so it is only up the bottom half of the wall. We plan to paint this paneling rather than stain so I didn't need a high quality grade lumber. This provided more options and these new options provided cost savings.

I opted for three sheets of 1/4 inch lauan underlayment at $13 each. I installed two sheets to the walls as the background 'panel' layer. Then Adam and I ripped the third sheet on my table saw into two and a half inch strips. I used these strips as the rails and stiles. With an electric nailer as my fastening tool, this job went quickly with no problems.

My health took a little bit of a setback this evening but I am feeling fairly stable now. I hope to have an exceptionally productive day tomorrow too! I have a door frame to build and install... a custom solid door to build... some trim to rip on the table saw... and then I'll be ready for paint, stain and polyurethane. 

Things are slowly coming along... 







Comments