Back to Light Physical Therapy

After my most recent flare up of my spinal injuries over this past weekend, I am now back to my daily physical therapy. The pain is still quite bad and I still have limited mobility but I feel I am well enough to start on limited physical therapy for all of my spinal problems including this latest flare up of my lumbar spine.

This is a critical stage... if I do too much, I risk getting worse...  if I do too little, I risk getting worse. 

After some light therapy this morning, I am feeling pretty good. The worst of the pain is isolated to my right side... my pelvis, hip, groin, buttocks, etc. I still have some pain on my left side, but the pain on the left side has diminished by a fair amount. This could easily change by lunchtime though.

I have to say, however, that getting myself up out of bed this morning... I mean the physical act of moving my legs out of bed and rotating upward... was excruciating and quite difficult. At that point I wasn't sure if I would get anything accomplished today nevermind some physical therapy. For the first half hour of today I was thinking I may have taken a huge step backward!

After my light physical therapy session this morning... just a small fragment of my usual daily physical therapy that I have been doing for the past 17 years... I'm feeling "fair". It is still difficult to get around and I am moving slowly.... the pain is still quite bad (then again, it is always there anyway)... but I am moving around significantly better than the past few days. This is all good!

The weather is helping to hold me back too... it is pouring outside so I have no desire to head outside to work on cleaning and waxing the kayaks and sailboat, nor work on the yard, nor work on the outdoor kitchen we are building. This will give me another day of recovery before attempting any 'usual' activities. I really need to get those boats cleaned up and waxed though!

Of course, this damp weather always causes extra pain for my spinal injuries so some of this pain may be due to this rainy weather... time will tell. I know that effective physical therapy is the answer, regardless.

I think I'm going to head to the living room to put ice on my spine now... we'll see if that reduces some inflammation...



EDIT:  I've put some ice on my spine and I'm feeling a bit better. The ice clearly reduced some swelling and inflammation so I took advantage of the improvement and did a little more stretching while I could.  I use an icepack again around lunchtime and continue to use ice throughout the days until I am back to "normal" again.  "Normal"... ha... what the heck is that?

Comments