Boats Ready for the Lake


Today was the day to prepare the boats for the summer and, specifically, for our time at the lake. The weather was perfect and I'm running out of time already so today was the day. My body is telling me it is April yet summer is here already!

My spine has been rather inflamed the past few days so it was slow going but I managed to get everything ready... well... I think everything is ready... you know how that goes... Chances are we'll unload the boats at the lake house and find I missed something.

I cleaned and waxed three kayaks. Then I figured out a way to mount my little waterproof camera to the bow of my kayak so I can get some video clips while kayaking with the kids. That should be fun! 

The kids really enjoy seeing themselves in video and they enjoy videos of the boats so they should really light up when they see themselves in video on the boats. One of these days I'll shoot some video of them watching themselves in video... they're pretty funny.

The tough part of today was getting the sailboat ready. That required the most of my spine... my inflamed, injured spine. I managed though. We'll see how I feel tonight!


I had to move the sailboat around... flip it over so I could clean and wax the bottom of the hull... flip it back over to clean and wax the top side... then put it back on its dolly so I could assemble the entire boat... sort of a 'dry' fit... a test fit. Last year I almost left some critical parts at home and I'd prefer to avoid that this year! 

When I unwrapped the sail, I knew that I needed to do some cleaning there too. The exposed part of the sail was filthy. Now the sail could use some wind, water and sun to help get the wrinkles out.

It looks like Adam will be joining us at the lake this year! That is a big surprise since he has been in training a few thousand miles away for the past five months. We're also looking forward to seeing plenty of other visitors as well including some from our extended Air Force family.

We'll have the grandkids with us for a significant part of our time at the lake house this year so it should be interesting. This will be their first visit to the lake house but they are definitely looking forward to it. They've seen tons of photos and videos including the framed prints of the house and sailing hanging on our walls all around the house. 

I'm sure the boats will get plenty of use by Lukey. I'm not too sure how Kenzie will like the boats. I hope she'll enjoy it but time will tell. I suspect she'll like it as long as someone else is doing all the work. Perhaps she'll be happier just playing in the sand on the beach. Hopefully she'll enjoy going out on the kayaks so nobody needs to stay behind with her. 

Depending upon how early the kids get up in the morning, I might take one of them out with me for my morning kayaking trek as the morning fog lifts. That would be a good time to get some video clips too... in that early morning silence as we quietly slice through the fog and the flat surface of the lake...




   

Comments