A Short Afternoon Cruise on Lake Champlain

We had some hazy but rather nice weather yesterday so we decided to head to Burlington and Lake Champlain for a short afternoon cruise on the "Spirit of Ethan Allen". We headed northward with Sheila's parents for an afternoon in Vermont's little quaint city on the lake.

We always enjoy an afternoon roaming around Burlington... hopping from bar to restaurant to bar... so it was nice to get to do some of the same this weekend.

We happened to be first in line to board the boat so this allowed us to get a prime table. The sun was blazingly hot while we were standing in line so we opted for choosing a table at the stern of the top level of the boat which was under cover. It turned out to be an exceptionally wise choice!

We had a few drinks on board and then walked up toward Church Street after the cruise.

The heat and humidity were enough to prompt me to request a table under cover rather than out on Church Street in the sun. Usually, everyone wants to sit out in the sun but my health can no longer handle sitting in the sun on hot days so I insisted upon a table which was in a cooler location. This was fortunate because it started raining as we were finishing our meals!

I was exhausted on this day, so we made it a rather short day. I didn't sleep well the night before... I was having great difficulty breathing for most of the night so I didn't sleep well. I think I only slept a total of two hours! So, after we ate a meal in Burlington, I was ready for our trek homeward. (I slept the entire drive home in the car!)


All in all, we had a really nice day!

Next time, perhaps we will have the grandkids join us for a cruise on the lake. After spending a couple of weeks with the kids at the lake house, I'm sure they would love being on a cruise on this great lake. Next time, however, we are considering cruising with "Northern Lights" on a more traditional, antique ship. A cruise on that ship would be a first for all of us and I can truly say that I'm looking forward to it. I much prefer "classic" boats.

Now it's time to get back to some household chores and renovations assuming my health cooperates (including the lawn... which is turning into a jungle). 

In the meantime, here are some photos from our afternoon in Burlington...










Perhaps the nicest looking room on the boat!

We live on the opposite side of that funny looking mountain in the background... 


The general rule is to move right when approaching another boat head-on... just like in a car...
here we see two sailboats doing the opposite by passing starboard side to starboard side...
also... they were VERY close to each other!  I suspect they knew each other.
It may be difficult to see here because it is such a wide angle view but
there are a LOT of sailboats on the lake... I assume a race...



The "Northern Lights" Cruise ship...

A rain shower departing the Adirondack Mountains and headed our way...

Local cliff divers...





Comments