Sometimes Things Snowball

Sometimes... you make a stupid mistake and then it somehow snowballs into a series of mistakes. Sometimes... these mistakes are really nothing worth mentioning in the big scheme of things and sometimes they are pretty significant mistakes. Right now, I am paying the price for a pretty significant mistake which snowballed into a series of mistakes.

When Sheila and I were getting ready for bed last night, I quickly realized that I had missed my dinnertime dose of medications. This alone is serious enough to cause anaphylaxis and a myriad of additional debilitating, nauseating, disgusting and dangerous symptoms. On the positive side, my health hadn't crashed yet as it usually does when I make this mistake so this was good news. (...probably because of the additional medications I took over the weekend so we could safely travel to Burlington for a short cruise...) This means I had time to correct this stupid yet potentially dangerous mistake. 

I took out my nighttime dose of medication...  spread across my desk (it's a fairly large amount of medication)... and I started taking them, one by one. Sheila was now in bed so I shut off the light so it wouldn't bother her. Usually, I have no problems seeing these medications by the light of my computer monitor so I figured I would use this method of illumination and give Sheila a break. It was Sunday night and she didn't need to start off her week by being exhausted because the light was keeping her awake.

When I awoke this morning... still feeling groggy... feeling a bit weak... a little nauseated... simply feeling "out of sorts" and unable to put my finger on what symptom is making me feel "kind of lousy"... I went over to my desk to now line up my cocktail of morning medications (ugggg... I just realized that I forgot to take one of my morning medications... be right back....)...

I am definitely on a roll... I'm back after taking the medication I missed this morning.

Anyway, when I went over to my desk this morning, I immediately noticed that I had missed taking two pills last night while sitting at my desk in the dark. If I had just missed these two little pills and effectively corrected this mistake, there would not be much in the way of consequences, however, I had already missed my dinnertime dose of my most important medication! This wasn't good. The snowball effect was taking control.

So, now as I was writing this blog post about mistakes snowballing, I realized that I also forgot a medication again this morning when I was taking my morning cocktail of medications... that snowball is now rolling faster downhill, picking up speed, and getting larger... mistake after mistake after mistake.  

I think for safety's sake, I need to just sit still on the couch for the day and, hopefully, get a full day of medications in my body again before I make any more mistakes with much more serious consequences...

I'm already feeling rather lousy... weak... a bit groggy... fatigued... breathing is a bit difficult... gastro-intestinal tract is a bit iffy... and just generally feeling kind of lousy... all 'typical' Systemic Mastocytosis symptoms. Clearly, I am suffering from "brain fog" as well which is probably causing my difficulties in accurately taking the correct medications in the correct dosages at the correct times. "Brain fog" is a catalyst for this snowball effect. (Brain fog also means I do not allow myself to touch any cutting tools nor power tools... nor do I allow myself to drive.)

Health any worse than what I am experiencing now will require emergency medications to avoid complete anaphylaxis and will require a few days or weeks of recovery. 

I need to stop this big rolling boulder of a snowball now...


Comments