New Eyeglasses

Doing any sort of work on any of my model railroad models is just about impossible nowadays without getting some sort of help. I can no longer focus on anything up close even when wearing my progressive lens eyeglasses. 

A week ago, I was working on my largest locomotive. It is a very large locomotive measuring 18 inches long and seven inches tall! That is just the size of the locomotive without the tender. Even considering how large this locomotive is, I still cannot focus on anything on this model when it is in my hands. 

I can focus just fine (on most days) when the model is at greater distances. It is just close-up focusing that is a problem. Although, some days I cannot focus on anything... near or far... due to complications of Systemic Mastocytosis. 

Honestly, I'm not sure if it is my medications which hamper my vision to this extent or if it is the disease or a combination of both. Although, my ophthalmologist has found signs of some retinal problems, my emergency medications are known to cause some vision issues in some patients and mast cell overactivity is also known to cause vision difficulties. So, I could be getting a double or triple-whammie. The cause, however, is irrelevant. The fact is I have difficulty with my vision which goes beyond 'normal' difficulties due to age.

If I can't focus on things up close... then how can I build and repair models of locomotives, freight cars, buildings, boats, etc? I enjoy modeling and I'm constantly adapting and changing my hobbies due to my chronic health problems and the physical limitations brought on by them. I am capable of some adapting and improvising in order to overcome some obstacles but this tactic has its limitations.


In this case, I needed more effective eyeglasses...

After doing a bit of research, I resorted to buying a magnification visor that is worn on my head and over my progressive eyeglasses. This visor has interchangeable lenses up to +3 diopter and it is illuminated. Now I can see my models as I am working on them!

Unfortunately, on those days when all my vision is blurrier than usual... both near and far... there really is nothing to help... so far. I have difficulty even watching a movie on those days. Extra medication and plenty of rest eventually gets me back on track so I can see clearly again. 

This new vision aid should help me see these small to large models... 

Now... what can help with my occasional hand tremors?  

And... should I even attempt to play the piano again or will I get overly frustrated again by my new physical limitations? (I haven't touched a piano in over two years because I was frustrated by my deteriorating abilities... but I am considering giving this a shot again...)


Comments

  1. Don't let your Systemic Mastocytosis ruin your abilities such as playing a piano. It may be a predicament to consider but with your new eye glasses plus the medications and proper rest, which diminishes the symptoms of the systematic mast cell disease, I'm pretty sure that you can still do such things with less difficulties. By the way, hows your locomotive project? I hope that everything will go smoothly. Thanks for tha brave sharing, Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I do have plans to return to piano soon... mostly, however, for the new grandchildren to be exposed to music. The model railroading projects are slowly coming along. Right now, I feel like I am doing more collecting of pieces and parts rather than actual modeling though! One step at a time... Thanks again.

      Delete

Post a Comment