Still Practicing Photo Development

My health crashed again last night due to some typical Systemic Mastocytosis issues affecting my blood pressure and gastrointestinal tract so I had to take some emergency medications to help stabilize my body. 

Today I am recovering. One of the emergency medications I had to take makes me extremely drowsy so I must recover from this drowsiness and avoid all potentially dangerous activities such as using power tools and driving because this drowsiness also affects my cognitive abilities (of course, my mast cell issues also affect my cognitive abilites). I also need some time for the medication to balance out my body allowing my health to recover.

On days such as today (and I have far too many of them which is why you are seeing a flurry of blog entries lately), I try to indulge in some art therapy by working on photos... sometimes painting... sometimes working on model railroading models. Today, I chose to work on some photos.

As I mentioned yesterday in a blog post, I am trying to master fine color adjustments in developing my photos. For today's practice, I chose two photos to develop. 

One image is a simple indoor portrait. The other is a wildlife photo. Two different types of images. One type we prefer a bit soft... the indoor portrait. The other type we prefer to see a lot of detail... the wildlife photo. 

This first shot is simple portrait of Kenzie. If I remember correctly, she was patiently waiting for dessert. In photos such as this, I try to convey a warmth... an intimacy... a softness... yet also a sharpness. I slightly muted some colors while adding a warmer color temperature to convey the warmth of indoor light. The eye contact and sharp eyes convey the intimacy. Although the image is sharp, I left the typical soft skin of a child intact. The lighting is soft... the colors are even a bit soft if we were assign a texture description to them... but the subject's face is in sharp focus... I like this one... 


This next photo I developed this morning is a bird photo. I should admit that I am not much of a fan of birds, in general. I do, however, enjoy trying to capture them in photos only because it is so difficult to do and especially so if you are trying for sharp clarity.

This shot is particularly noteworthy because I used a very old digital camera which has a rare and obsolete sensor in it. It is a recent photo which I shot using a camera which has a Kodak sensor in it. Since the sensor was a Kodak sensor, I chose to develop the RAW image using a brown toned Kodachrome 35mm color profile. 

I love the clarity, tonality, and depth of this image. Since I used colors similar to a brown toned Kodachrome film, this photo also has a warmth to it. The colors are slightly muted and in the earth-tone family which I find very appealing for this image (and many images, truth be told).  



I feel I have learned quite a bit about color in the past week and this should be evident in all my photos in the future. 

I haven't done much landscape photography so I'm feeling as though this should be something to master in the near future. I'd still like to practice more portraits... capture more wildlife... and, at some point, I'd like to take the time to do some still life and still life macro photography...

So much to do and so little decent health to spare...


Comments