Building a Townhouse

I am getting ready to start building a Georgetown-style townhouse (sans window shutters) that I designed... a dollhouse townhouse, that is!

I don't think little Miss Mackenzie is able to read just yet so I am probably safe writing about one of my Christmas projects for this year. 

Not long ago, I asked Kenzie if she would like a nice dollhouse to play with whenever she visits and her eyes lit up, a big smile came to her face like the Grinch thinking about a nasty thought, and she scrunched down with her little hands on her thighs like she was going to suddenly spring up and jump for joy. I suddenly realized that I had just inadvertently committed myself to building a nice dollhouse for Christmas! Fortunately, I already had an idea formed in my mind.

I started sketching and kept things very simple which is difficult for me. My projects always seem to evolve into more detailed projects with many fine details. My sketches have remained quite simple though which is good news for me.

The windows, staircases, a front entry door and a french patio door just arrived in the mail this week... I already have the plywood set aside to start building (I was waiting for the windows and doors to arrive so I could be absolutely certain of the dimensions before I start cutting plywood)... I even already have a family of dolls.  

We decided that since floor space in our home is very limited for any new additions to the home, a dollhouse that goes vertical would make more sense than a dollhouse that lies horizontally taking up valuable real estate in our very small home. I started thinking about a basic townhouse... sort of an antique-style city dollhouse... an 'Early American' period... with a sidewalk out front... a small fenced-in patio on the side with white picket fencing... three stories tall... two staircases... and an open back for moving furniture and dolls around. My first sketches all leaned toward a Georgetown-style townhouse so that is the plan. 

I'm thinking that, for now, I'll keep things simple. No details... no siding, for now, just paint... no finishes inside the dollhouse... I'm not even certain about furniture just yet... certainly no wallcoverings, floorcoverings nor lighting. Maybe I'll furnish each room in the future as gifts. Time will tell.

I know I'll need to keep this dollhouse simple if I intend to get to building Lukey's Christmas present too...


Comments